LED remote Diver installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimie

Hello,

i'm currently doing a job at a big hotel in NY city, most of the lighting are LED with remote drivers that was to be installed in access door in the ceilings next to every lighting section, the design team then changed and removed all the access doors from the ceilings and provided me with (3) very limited locations per floor (within 80' of the LED fixture to i don't exceed the Mfr wire chart) to house the remote LED drivers.

As you can understand that housing a large amount of drivers in one location/enclosure will create: 1) a very high heat output and due to the heat i will need to increase the spacing between the drivers. 2) i will need to install a cooling unit/fan within the space/enclosure. 3) i will need to get custom enclosures that can fit within these (3) locations since all the spaces are different. etc.

However - this was going on and on with the engineer without getting a clear responds, so i have decided that since all the locations are either electrical rooms or closets that are designed for drivers only - i will post a sign on the door "High Voltage - authorized personal only" and mount the drivers on the wall without an enclosure, hide the wire and splices in a plastic wire duct so most of the issues are resolved.

as you can see on the attached picture it looks great and everyone was happy until i received a letter from the Engineer stating the below:
"During this office?s site visit on Wednesday 2015.01.08 we reviewed the installation of the LED drivers within the electrical closets. We noted the following NYC electrical code violations: 1. The line voltage power wiring to the drivers was not installed in a raceway or enclosure at driver inputs. 2. The driver infeeds entered a non-metallic enclosure and connected to the incoming circuit homeruns within a non-metallic enclosure. The incoming power feeds to the drivers will need to be installed in metallic raceways and enclosures. See photograph below of the installation"

Please advise me on how i can make this work so i don't have to redo nor rewire 500+ led drivers.

Thank you,

Attachments

• IMG-20150112-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20150112-WA0016.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4

mwm1752

Can't really tell from the pic but are the line voltage feeds that attach to the drivers per installation instructions -- as for the line voltage branch circuit connections they are restricted to NEC 2014 300.15. Can't tell if your drivers are class 1 or 2/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.