LED Lights flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

This is a brand new high end home. When we started to install the dimmers . Regular Lutron slide dimmers from HD. The recessed lights started flickering. One dimmer is already installed with no problem.
So I took the dimmers out. Then my little ole Klein battery circuit tracer caused them to flicker.
I did not supply the recessed trims. Only the cans.
What should I do next ?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You would think all new dimmers would be LED rated now, but.........also, do the lights have a built in driver? Or a remote driver with a couple of extra wires, purple and grey?

Buck Parrish

You would think all new dimmers would be LED rated now, but.........also, do the lights have a built in driver? Or a remote driver with a couple of extra wires, purple and grey?
Thanks Hillbilly, The dimmers and the recessed LED lights say dimmable on the box for LEDs etc...

Buck Parrish

What's especially weird is when I plugged my little circuit tracer in to another circuit. It made them flicker. I'm thinking that is a x10 device. Why would that make them flicker.
I'm perplexed, :unsure:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Wonder if there's a compatibility issue between Lutron dimmer and your trims?

I had some Philips LEDs from HD that didn't like Lutron dimmers from HD

synchro

Occupation
EE
Are the slide dimmers the more common "leading edge" type? Some LED lights with drivers need the trailing edge type to work properly without flickering.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
LED drivers can be really finicky, in that they can react to very low levels of leakage current that gets through solid state devices (like triac based dimmers), usually though snubber circuits. Some manufacturers have figured this out, some have not, both from the LED driver standpoint and the dimmer standpoint. Given that your circuit tracer triggered the LEDs to flash too, I'd guess that it's the LED side that's the problem.

Are these the type of cans with the integrated LEDs, or did you use Edison base LED bulbs in a regular can? I it's the integrated type, it unfortunately might mean swapping them all out if you can't find a compatible dimmer. I like Larry's suggestion of contacting the mfr to see if they have a recommendation on a dimmer they know works.

Buck Parrish

Just to be clear the dimmer is not on the lights that are flickering. So when I dim lights in the living room. They dim normally. But then the kitchen lights start flickering. Also my little Klein circuit tracer causes it to flicker. The house is still empty. But I imagine the owners will plug something in that may cause flickering , too

Status
Not open for further replies.