LED/Incandescent lamps in Recessed can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Been using Halo H7ICAT 6" cans for quite some time. The lamp selection that is printed on the label inside the housing does not give any info regarding the use of LED lamps.It gives the trim # and what style and wattage lamp can be used. Lets say for sake of conversation that a 9W LED = a 65W Incandescent.Can a higher wattage LED lamp be safely used? Thanks,.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The higher wattage LED and driver will not overheat the can. That part is OK. But the ventilation for the LED unit may not be good enough at a higher equivalent wattage than the incan.
An incan bulb can tolerate far higher temps than LED circuitry can.

gar

Occupation
EE
140714-2230 EDT

An experiment I have previously performed confirms what GoldDigger told you. In a fully insulated can, with the can vertical, the heat sink surface temperature of a 10 W LED was up in the range of 170 to 180 F, if I remember correctly. Many people that have put CFLs into can fixtures have experienced shortened life.

But, I have no way to judge the likely reduction in bulb life. Life tests an a large sample of bulbs are required to get useful life information.

You will not overheat a can fixture that is rated for 60 W with a 10 W LED.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
140714-2230 EDT

An experiment I have previously performed confirms what GoldDigger told you. In a fully insulated can, with the can vertical, the heat sink surface temperature of a 10 W LED was up in the range of 170 to 180 F, if I remember correctly. Many people that have put CFLs into can fixtures have experienced shortened life.

But, I have no way to judge the likely reduction in bulb life. Life tests an a large sample of bulbs are required to get useful life information.

You will not overheat a can fixture that is rated for 60 W with a 10 W LED.

the can will survive its wattage rating. normalized 1w=1j/s, this is a energy rate that cannot be exceeded per can labeling. so any LED module rate at or below can rating (actual LED wattage use, not the "equiv" number) will be fine for the can. but as noted, LED lamps also get hot and some may not last that long w/o adequate cooling. pros & cons to everything.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Been using Halo H7ICAT 6" cans for quite some time. The lamp selection that is printed on the label inside the housing does not give any info regarding the use of LED lamps.It gives the trim # and what style and wattage lamp can be used. Lets say for sake of conversation that a 9W LED = a 65W Incandescent.Can a higher wattage LED lamp be safely used? Thanks,.

Code wise only the AHJ can give you an answer.

Given that the fixture trim has specif list of approved lamps any deviation from that runs into 110.3(B).

As far as it being safe or not? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.