LED For HOA Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralph123

Occupation
Business Owner
Hello,

I have installed many systems for customers homes but I now am growing and HOA's are asking for me to light up their entrances.
The question is, how do I do this with a transformer?
I am used to adding a transformer to the customer's home and plugging the transformer to a 120v outlet.

What is the best practice for me to do with HOA's?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Ralph

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally you need to get a meter and a small panel set out there where you can get power. Then add a receptacle that is controlled by either a timer or photocell. Many transformers have these features.

ralph123

Occupation
Business Owner
How do you install the actual transformer? Do you put it on a post itself? That's the biggest question I have. I know the process but it's more WHERE and HOW to put the transformer that's close to an outlet? If that makes sense.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are you talking about neighborhood entrances? How close is the nearest power? What kind and how much lighting?

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
What type of lighting are you trying to install? You can get floods or spots with integral drivers, or if you're talking about doing some sort of glow behind channel lettering, and you want to use LED tape, there is now 120V, wet listed LED tape that could be used and would not have a separate driver/power supply that would have to be concealed.

Or, if you do need something with a remote driver, there's usually a good place to mount a 3R enclosure on the back side of the entry signage, or somewhere else nearby that will conceal it well with landscaping/shrubbery.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Not clear on exactly what you are trying to achieve. "Entrances"- what kind of entrances? Entrances to what and where are they?
Also no idea why a transformer would be so important to you. Sounds like your only experience is DIY landscape lighting.

ETA: I see that you mention signs in your title. If that is the case low voltage lighting is probably not the best option.

-Hal

ralph123

Occupation
Business Owner
They are at the entrances of a condo association that have a sign that states the name of the association. What I am asking is I need to install lighting with flood lights for the sign and will be using a sign post and U Channel with a block of wood attached to this. That is the best idea I have had for this.

Also they want an island that has palm trees going down the road for 200 yards have landscape lighting done on these. Not sure how I would accomplish this. Do I need to bring in an electrician to set me up with 120v plug ins? How does this process work.

I really appreciate any feedback.

-Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.