LED and Energy Efficient Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFarina25

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Doing some research here -- is there any NEC 2020 content concerning requirements,exceptions, etc. regarding LED lighting and/or energy efficient lighting?

Additionally, I remember that some local jurisdictions require a maximum or minimum VA for lighting based on the room area, NEC doesn't specify min or max I believe. Do LEED or USGBC impose a value?

Thanks!

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
NEC will give you a general lighting load to use for calculations, but I think you want to look at your Building & Energy Codes.

MFarina25

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
NEC will give you a general lighting load to use for calculations, but I think you want to look at your Building & Energy Codes.

Thanks! After some additional research, looks like NEC 2020 table 220.12 values were updated per new data surround the rise of energy efficient lighting, etc. so it seems like it is worked into the code in a certain sense.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks! After some additional research, looks like NEC 2020 table 220.12 values were updated per new data surround the rise of energy efficient lighting, etc. so it seems like it is worked into the code in a certain sense.
The lighting load in the NEC is still higher than the maximum permitted lighting loads in the energy codes. Part of the reason for that is that the Code Making Panel is aware that the energy codes are not always enforced and wanted to be sure that the services and feeders are large enough to support the actual installed loads.

MFarina25

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
The lighting load in the NEC is still higher than the maximum permitted lighting loads in the energy codes. Part of the reason for that is that the Code Making Panel is aware that the energy codes are not always enforced and wanted to be sure that the services and feeders are large enough to support the actual installed loads.
Thanks for the clarification Don. Do you know which energy codes enforce a max VA for lighting loads?

paulengr

Don’t forget...LED lighting is simply not as efficient as some people think. It is about the same lumens per watt as T5-HO fixtures and high wattage high bay metal hauled fixtures with electronic ballasts. So we were already pretty much there before LEDs came along.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks for the clarification Don. Do you know which energy codes enforce a max VA for lighting loads?
i do not, but if you are using the NEC, you must use the load values in Article 220 for your calculations, even though the energy code will not permit you to install that much lighting load.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Don’t forget...LED lighting is simply not as efficient as some people think. It is about the same lumens per watt as T5-HO fixtures and high wattage high bay metal hauled fixtures with electronic ballasts. So we were already pretty much there before LEDs came along.
For most indoor resi/commercial applications, youre right. SMDs are most common there, with 2835s being about the most efficient. I believe they're about 95 lm/w which is right there with T5-HO. And it goes doen from there, to about 60 lm/w with 5050 SMD.

Get into industrial and street lighting and it gets much better with LEDs. 3030 is pretty common, and they're maintaining 125-150 lm/w. I just installed a GE LED high bay that was 160 watts and 24,000 lumen output.

Status
Not open for further replies.