Leaving a Slack Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
My question is for the folks that usually do not leave a slack loop/courtesy loop of NM outside of boxes.

If the wall covering is going to be something other than drywall, maybe like a T&G wood finish, do you leave a little extra cable outside of the box just in case you needed it?

My question is for the folks that usually do not leave a slack loop/courtesy loop of NM outside of boxes.

If the wall covering is going to be something other than drywall, maybe like a T&G wood finish, do you leave a little extra cable outside of the box just in case you needed it?

Personally, I'd leave a bit more extra wire inside the box, if the volume allows, but not extra cable outside it.
For a finished wall (regardless of the material), it is far more likely for the circuit to be extended from a box, rather than for the box itself to be relocated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I try and leave a little bit above the last staple on the stud and I don't drive my staples in hard. This way if I need an extra inch I can get it but not much more than that

GerryB

I never leave a loop or extra wire unless the contractor says or I think for some reason the box might have to be moved. Sounds like it could get messy, say a switch box in and out the bottom, two or three out the top, then you have to secure them what is it within 8"?

shortcircuit2

I had to relocate a 3-gang switch box recently and there was a big loop of wire left above the box in a loop which was about 12-16 inches of wire and it was a BIG help. No JB for the relocation!

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
No slack loop in the wall, don't want the challenge of trying to make it all look neat.

I square off my romex, usually I can get more slack by pulling staples and diagonalling, of course this does not help inside a finished wall.

The cost of leaving loop everywhere might be greater than the cost to very rarely repull at my expense.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
I try and leave a little bit above the last staple on the stud and I don't drive my staples in hard. This way if I need an extra inch I can get it but not much more than that

So you leave a tiny bit of slack ABOVE the last staple but since you leave your staple loose then you can pull the extra bit of cable thru the staple?

What about leaving a little slack below the last staple?

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
My main concern has never been needing to relocate a box but rather the insulation on a conductor getting damaged close to where it enters the box or something else fluky happening with the conductors where it would be nice to have that extra slack to pull into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.