Laying electrical conduit in concrete slab without sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serenity

New User
Occupation
Design
My contractor just ran wiring in my concrete floor to the island. He dug a shallow trench and ran the wiring through a Gray conduit. However it was not secured in with a bonding agent or concrete seal..will this be an issue..in central florida..

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Your inspectors will flag it if it's a problem.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion, the concrete should be patched before the floor finish is applied.

What flooring will cover the concrete?

mwm1752

the trench with fill is the conduit securing agent & the inside of the conduit is considered a wet location so why seal it? Joints are required to be glued together.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The trench isn't required to be filled but then the conduit is required to be secured. If the tile guy fills it with thin set you're all good.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
However it was not secured in with a bonding agent or concrete seal..

The trench should have been filled with concrete troweled flush with the existing slab. I don't see how it could be just left that way. Maybe some idiot thought that floor tiles will bridge it? Not in my book!

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The trench should have been filled with concrete troweled flush with the existing slab. I don't see how it could be just left that way. Maybe some idiot thought that floor tiles will bridge it? Not in my book!
Exactamundo. Return the integrity of the surface, at least.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
My contractor just ran wiring in my concrete floor to the island. He dug a shallow trench and ran the wiring through a Gray conduit. However it was not secured in with a bonding agent or concrete seal..will this be an issue..in central florida..

Ten responses, nothing from the OP to date.

My contractor just ran wiring in my concrete floor to the island.
Electrical contractor? General contractor? General contractor having his sub electrical contractor install the conduit in the "concrete trench".

ran the wiring through a Gray conduit.
PVC conduit?

However it was not secured in with a bonding agent
Bonding agent? Meaning, supported, strapped, in place?
Bonding agent? The only bonding agent I can think that would be used is a liquid bonding agent that is brushed on the pre cleaned side walls and bottom of the concrete trench for bonding the patching cement material to the existing concrete.

or concrete seal..
As in fill the trench with a patching cement? Or?? If there is a general contractor involved he/she may be handling that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think we gave the OP enough to think about.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.