laundry receptacle requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm not clear on 210.52(F). Is this receptacle required to be a dedicated laundry circuit or can it be connected to an adjoining bedroom?
I'm assuming this cannot be connected to the washer circuit.

jeff48356

No, the laundry receptacle needs to be on a dedicated 20-amp circuit, with no other loads wired to it. It is intended to power the washer, but can also be used to power a gas dryer. For an electric dryer, that requires a dedicated 30-amp 240V circuit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Looking at the two Code sections involved:

210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in areas designated for the installation of laundry equipment.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle for laundry equipment shall not be required in a dwelling unit of a multifamily building where laundry facilities are provided on the premises for use by all building occupants.
Exception No. 2: A receptacle for laundry equipment shall not be required in other than one-family dwellings where laundry facilities are not to be installed or permitted.

210.,11(C)) (2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

If one supplies a 20 amp circuit to a receptacle could additional receptacles be provided that were powered from the bedroom circuit ?
er outlets.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Unlike kitchen SABCs, there is no prohibition on foreign circuits in addition to the required circuit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Looking at the two Code sections involved:

210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in areas designated for the installation of laundry equipment.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle for laundry equipment shall not be required in a dwelling unit of a multifamily building where laundry facilities are provided on the premises for use by all building occupants.
Exception No. 2: A receptacle for laundry equipment shall not be required in other than one-family dwellings where laundry facilities are not to be installed or permitted.

210.,11(C)) (2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

If one supplies a 20 amp circuit to a receptacle could additional receptacles be provided that were powered from the bedroom circuit ?
er outlets.

I say yes a bedroom circuit can also supply other receptacles in the laundry area/room. As long as the bedroom circuit is not used for the laundry equipment or is in the designated laundry area.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm not clear on 210.52(F). Is this receptacle required to be a dedicated laundry circuit or can it be connected to an adjoining bedroom?
I'm assuming this cannot be connected to the washer circuit.

Your "washer circuit" is the laundry circuit provided it is a 20A circuit that serves only the laundry room receptacle(s).

Now as was mentioned, if your "washer circuit" meets the requirements of 210.11(C), then you could have another circuit in the room/area and feed somewhere else off that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you have a 20 amp circuit for the washer then you can also feed other receptacles in the laundry room off that circuit as long as it does not leave the room. This is just another option.

Adamjamma

Dennis, Quick Question and I know this is old but... Has there been any revisions on the definition of Laundry Circuit?
Here is my logic... A bathroom circuit is not calculated separate. But it can either supply the lighting, fan, and wall outlets in a single bathroom, or it can supply wall outlets in more than one bathroom but only them.
Yet, are we saying code is only allowing the gas dryer or washer on the laundry circuit? And then must supply a separate breaker and such for supplying lights and sewing machine and iron in that area.. which happens to be a separate room in my case?
Have been quiet for a while but, still in Jamaica and still trying to get a copy of the local codes... only good thing is so far it seems that when I use the local wire and conduit, which are metric and made in Trinidad supposedly to UK standards, I have found that the USE/RHH chart for Sch 80 pvc seems to do pretty well on shortcutting all the british conduit math...lol

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yet, are we saying code is only allowing the gas dryer or washer on the laundry circuit? And then must supply a separate breaker and such for supplying lights and sewing machine and iron in that area.. which happens to be a separate room in my case?
The code has no restrictions on what can be plugged in to the receptacles on the laundry circuit. The only restriction is that the laundry circuit only supply receptacle loads in the laundry area. No other loads can be supplied by that circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.