Latest Pool Electrical Safety Code in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Apprentice
When is the latest/safest pool electric code in Florida?
I am basing my home-buying decision based on the year the pool was built.
I am concerned that the pool is built to the highest electrical safety standards.
I imagine my criteria indicates I might be interested in a house with a pool built 2018 or later, since the 2017 National Electrical Code started being enforced, as per this article:
Or maybe a 2017 house would be ok?

Other resources I have referenced:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The main things you need to be concerned with;

1) is there a bonding grid? Are all parts around the pool bonded as required?
2) is the lighting protected by a GFCI if required?
3) are there metallic hand rails, and if so verify the condition of the bonding lugs in the receiving cups.

Find a qualified pool electrician to inspect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I don't care when the pool was built. Have it inspected by a qualified pool electrician. Make sure he opens up all junction boxes and tests continuity on all parts of the bonding grid, deck equipment, and lights. I have seen many new pools that pass all inspections that were not up to current code. City inspectors are not always the greatest. And someone could easily leave a bond wire disconnected or not hooked up. Almost all electrical related pool deaths are do to no bonding grid around pool, no gfci on pool light, parts around pool deck or pool equipment not bonded.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think there have been that many significant changes to the most important items mentioned in post 3 over several years of codes.

I wouldn't go off year built alone, but maybe off knowing what may have or hasn't been enforced over the years. That may still mean get someone in to inspect that has knowledge of those sort of things in the area it is located.

If electrical permits were strictly required, chances are it was a good installation, unless it was known there was inspector that wasn't knowledgeable or thorough enough. If electrical permits were not required or was known to be easy to get away with not having one, who knows what shortcuts could have been taken. If contractor(s) involved have good reputation then even if no permit were required, chances are they still liked to "do it right".

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
As Kwired mentioned, the recent changes have been mild and would be easy to add yourself (GFCI breakers for 240V items would be one change). But there are exceptions in the code book to allow using older existing wiring that could be considered less safe. For example, a feeder to a pool should use an insulated grounding conductor. But if the pool panel is fed from an old garage that has an existing 3 wire feed or a bare ground, that would be allowable, even by 2020 code.

Status
Not open for further replies.