Laser tool recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone have a recommendation for a laser tool to put a visible line across a high ceiling to help with running conduits straight? I'm going to have a project in a large area and I'm looking for something that I could set on one end and aim it at a point on the other end that's parallel with the side wall and have it project a line across the ceiling for a reference to measure off of for conduit and boxes. I have an old laser transit but it's not bright enough, plus it takes too long to relevel itself each time you move it to try to get it lined up. Any suggestions that I can look into would be appreciated. Thank you!

retirede

I have DeWalt DW087 that I’ve used to install drop ceiling. It settles almost instantly.

I think your challenge may be enough brightness depending on how long the run is and how bright the ambient light is.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I'm curious if you're looking for something magnetic or something that has a clamp. Basically, how are you looking to fasten it to whatever surface it will be on

Also, I would suggest a green laser line instead of red.

Todd0x1

I have a bosch GL100G green cross line I really like. It lets you turn either line on and off, it settles pretty fast. I was going to buy the Stabila one but whitecap was out of it so I just got the bosch.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have an old Skil rotary level that works pretty well. It's rare i get it out. My favorite device is a DeWalt thing I call an inverse plumb bob. You set it on the floor at a point and it shoots a beam straight up (has it's own internal leveling thing).

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Bosch and Milwaukee have suitable models. The Milwaukee web site has a good series of videos, the key for any laser is how far do you to shoot and what is the ambient light level? I have two and they are good inside for short distances with bright light. Look for green laser versions

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have an old Skil rotary level that works pretty well. It's rare i get it out. My favorite device is a DeWalt thing I call an inverse plumb bob. You set it on the floor at a point and it shoots a beam straight up (has it's own internal leveling thing).
I had one of those. Asked my help where it was and all I heard was, "I dunno, haven't seen it for ages." Duh, NSS.

retirede

I'm curious if you're looking for something magnetic or something that has a clamp. Basically, how are you looking to fasten it to whatever surface it will be on

Also, I would suggest a green laser line instead of red.

The DeWalt has both magnetic and clamp mount. It is red, though.

JZE14

I had a PLS and was really happy with it until it would no longer automatically level. I tried to find somewhere to get it repaired but wasn't able to find anywhere. I just bought a Leica and used it for the first time today and I am impressed with how much farther it worked. They are both green lasers and seemed to work better than red.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
I have the Dewalt with the red laser and recently just upgraded to the new 360* Green laser Milwaukee M12 laser. Hands down no comparison on brightness. The Milwaukee green laser is way brighter and the 360* option is amazing. The laser is expensive but if you use them somewhat frequently it is well worth the price. I also really like that the Milwaukee has an adjustment dial on it for fine tuning the laser without having to move it. I also purchased the optional mount so I have a vertical adjustment wheel/dial as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.