Lapse due to deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Does anyone know if there is a rules for electricians whom has been deployed? I have a friend who’s (new boyfriend) told her that he is a master electrician but since he was deployed he lost his license and had to redo all his schooling? Doesn’t sound right to me but I don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Does anyone know if there is a rules for electricians whom has been deployed? I have a friend who’s (new boyfriend) told her that he is a master electrician but since he was deployed he lost his license and had to redo all his schooling? Doesn’t sound right to me but I don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may or may not be stuck. Most state boards will take this into consideration, but require you to let them know before you are deployed or at least before your current license hits the renew-by date.

growler

That doesn't sound right to me either. Deployment is normally a year or 13 months. I guess you could let your license lapse and have to retest but your experience and schooling doesn't expire . At least I wouldn't think so.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Are you trying to help the guy retain/reinstate a license that he actually earned, or help his new girlfriend learn whether she's being bullshitted about his having ever earned it in the first place?

There's something called the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act that should help with the former. I'm sure it has come up before and he should be able to get some answers from a JAG liaison.

The state licensing board should be able to provide the answer to the latter, even if it has expired.

As with every legal question in the United States, the answer will vary from state to state.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Does anyone know if there is a rules for electricians whom has been deployed?
I have a friend who’s (new boyfriend) told her that he is a master electrician but
since he was deployed he lost his license and had to redo all his schooling?
Doesn’t sound right to me but I don’t know...

question 1. what state is the license issued in?
once you know that, you can look up licensing requirements for that state.

there is more to this story, and i suspect enough sediment to plug
most people's BS filter.

Adamjamma

It could be he means he feels he is qualified to masters level, but due to deployments and duty transfers he has not been able to get his certifications... Back in 80s i knew a few guys who were training as Electricians but let the army talk them into signing up with the promise of fast promotions due to their skills and that they would come out of the army as masters qualified... both went on to do their 20 plus and retire, but both complained that the service promises and job time in service meant nothing in their states.. the one had managed to get a degree in engineering while in, so he managed to get his contractors license after a bunch of hoops... the other preferred partying and never got his paperwork to back up anything so currently drives a truck for fedex...

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
That doesn't sound right to me either. Deployment is normally a year or 13 months. I guess you could let your license lapse and have to retest but your experience and schooling doesn't expire . At least I wouldn't think so.

It's like that in Va.
You can let it lapse but you have to do your CEU's for that year. And pay for the year you let it lapse. And you have to re-test after so long but you don't lose your hours.
If that was the case they would have taken back my high school diploma years ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.