landscape lighting fixture and wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think somehwre is Article 402 or 401 it states that the fixture wiring shall not be used as branch circuit conductors. Does this apply to low voltage fixtures as well? In other words, does the low voltage fixture need to come equipped with a whip or can we homerun the wiring from the fixture back to the transformer without a splice?

Also, if the wiring is insalled in conduit can we use XHHW or RHW wiring?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: landscape lighting fixture and wiring

There is nothing in the NEC that covers LV landscape lighting (unless it is Class 1) other than 300.5 column 5 which we are still trying to figure out what it applies to.

hurk27

Hbiss How about this listing:

Part Number: 55269
Description: 12 AWG 2/C Stranded underground low energy circuit lighting cable
Construction: This cable consists of two bare copper conductors with integral insulation and jacket in a SPT style construction
Approvals: UL Misc. Wire - Low energy Circuit Cable
Application: Low Voltage Underground Lighting Applications

Construction Parameters:
Conductors 12 AWG Bare Copper
Stranding 65/30
Insulation Material PVC
Insulation/Jacket Thickness 0.047" Nom.
Overall Dimensions 0.186" x 0.370" Nom.

Electrical & Environmental Properties:
Temperature Rating -20?C to 60?C
Operating Voltage 150v Max.
DC Resistance per Conductor @ 20?C 1.59 Ohms/1M' Nom.

Insulation/Jacket Colors Black
Legend (Indent Print) Baron wire 12 AWG 2/C underground low energy circuit cable sunlight resistant 60C (UL) 150v --C(UL) 30v FT2

LVW-12.jpg

It also comes in 10/2 or 8/2

pierre

Article 411 is one of the Articles you need to reference. The listing of the wiring method used if not from Chapter 3 also becomes important. Table 300.5 for burial depth.

Pierre

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Note to moderators: this is a double posting with the same discussion going on in the Low Voltage forum.

Pierre, we have been down this road before. Low voltage landscape lighting would come under 725.

725.3- Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this Article shall apply to Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 circuits.

Nowhere is 300.5 referenced. :confused:

I'm also sticking to my story that outdoor buried landscape lighting that is not Class 1 is not covered.

earlydean

hbiss,

I beg to differ. Article 411 is clearly intended to apply to landscape lighting. The NEC Handbook makes this crystal clear.
As Column 5 of Table 300.5 also makes it crystal clear on the burial depths.
Chapter 5-6-7 supplement or modify the first 4 chapters. Chapter 8 is the stand alone chapter, except where it specifically references 1-4. See 90.3

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Article 411 is clearly intended to apply to landscape lighting. The NEC Handbook makes this crystal clear.

Well, I disagree that 411 or 725 is clear on its intent to include landscape lighting. I don't have the handbook and will go by what you say but the NEC should be written so that you don't need some ones interpretation in another book in order to understand it.

I will concede that if we believe 411 does apply to landscape lighting then 300.5 column 5 has a purpose, at least for landscape lighting.

hurk27

411 does seem to cover low-voltage lighting but what throws me is it say that limited to 25 amps or less on the secondary? many of these landscape lighting system go way over that amount and even have UL listed power packs. Now if the NEC prohibit's them over 25 amps why would UL list the equipment for such use? Now one thing I have noticed is all of these UL listed lighting kits say one thing in common. That is "they are not for indoor use" or "Do not use indoors" could this be the little trick to allow UL to list them?

Of course 411.5 (C) realy throws me as it clearly say bare conductors not to be less that 7' above finished FLOORS? ok Inside or outside to me this artical is for the installation of low-voltage inside.

[ November 24, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

pierre

Hurk
The bare wire they are refering to is for the 'fancy' low voltage lighting that one can see hanging from the bare conductors themselves. The reason the low voltage outdoor lighting package installation instructions say not for indoors is, the wiring method is not a chapter 3 method, and cannot be run through the wall (411.4).

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hbiss:
I disagree that 411 or 725 is clear on its intent to include landscape lighting.
ARTICLE 411 Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less

411.1 Scope.

This article covers lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less and their associated components.
411.2 Definition.
Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less.

A lighting system consisting of an isolating power supply operating at 30 volts (42.4 volts peak) or less, under any load condition, with one or more secondary circuits, each limited to 25 amperes maximum, supplying luminaires (lighting fixtures) and associated equipment identified for the use.
Landscape lights fit all the specifications above, I do not see how that would not be clear.

411.4 Locations Not Permitted.
Lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less shall not be installed (1) where concealed or extended through a building wall, unless using a wiring method specified in Chapter 3, or (2) within 3.0 m (10 ft) of pools, spas, fountains, or similar locations, except as permitted by Article 680.
I think that this makes it clear as most pools, spas and fountains are outside.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.