landscape irrigation wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pak

Does table 300-5 cover the installtion of the wiring for irrigation wiring ? All of the jobs I have seen are installing the wire in the trench with the water piping mostly at a depth of 6 to 12 inches deep. Thanks for any input on this.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: landscape irrigation wiring

No. Irrigation wiring is low voltage and is covered by Article 720 and 725 which supercede Art 300. Burial depth then is not addressed.

dansan

Yes 300.5 colum 5 specifically addresses low voltage irrigation and landscape lighting and the minimum burial depths.

dansan

90.3 also tells you that chapters 1-4 apply unless modified in chapters 5-7

pak

Thanks this was my take on this ,yet when I called rainbird they said they had never been posed this question and had no answer, or manufactors depth requirements for this type of wiring .

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If this is an Article 725 installation, then Table 300.5 does not apply. See 725.3.
Circuits and equipment shall comply with the articles or sections listed in 725.3(A) through (E). Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 circuits.
Table 300.5 is not referenced in Article 725.
Don

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Don, you are absolutely right... and now I'm totally confused. I can't think of any LV irrigation system that wouldn't be covered by 725 hence my original answer. I never even noticed 300.5 column 5 until dansan pointed it out probably because it doesn't apply to anything.

pierre

Pak
What you need to address first is the power supply to the irrigation wiring. Once you know that you can determine if it falls under Art 725 or a chapter 3 wiring method. Once you know that, then you will follow the rules appropriate for the installation.

Take a look at 725.21 and 725.41, this will help you determine where to look.

Pierre

[ October 14, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

hbiss

Occupation
EC

The question is then: how would irrigation and landscape lighting that is limited to not more than 30 volts be not covered by 725 and/or where in 725 is there a reference to 300.5 columm 5?
I rest my case. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.