Lamp cord safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
I am having a disagreement. A hotel that was just built has receptacles behind the beds. The mattress and box springs slide and rub against the lamp cord plug which is plugged in to the receptacle. I said that it is an electrical hazard. Do you know of any code or safety issues which would surport my belief that it is an electrical hazard. THANKS

G

Re: Lamp cord safety

It is a hazard. It's also inconvenient-- but not so much for a hotel/motel.

For child & pet safety it is a good idea to keep things plugged in behind heavy furniture or use a receptacle cover that is lockable (like the outdoor ones) when the device is plugged in. That prevents the plug end from getting damaged by the furniture too.

The easiest solution is to use "wallhugger" extension cords or wallhugger deadfronts as they are less likely to be damaged. Many motels/hotels use built-in bed platforms and don't put receptacles behind beds.

Here are a couple of Google link about this topic:
cords+behind+beds
cords+behind+beds+hazard

My sister had her cat bite through a standing lamp cord many years ago. It blew the cat's tongue right off and burned its lip partially off. It survived but never looked the same.

I have witnessed many plug ends demolished or damaged by bed frames.

I'll leave it to one of the CD guys/gals to post the NEC on this.

Personally, I try to put one receptacle on either side of where I think the bed will go. Many rough-in electricians try to center all receptacles on each wall. In practice this is probably going to lead to blocked and/or damaged receptacles.

../Wayne C.

452815_01_std.jpg

Image property of: www.staples.com

[ September 08, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

hurk27

Yes the NEC does address this Here is the code:

210.60 Guest Rooms.
(B) Receptacle Placement. In applying the provisions of 210.52(A), the total number of receptacle outlets shall not be less than the minimum number that would comply with the provisions of that section. These receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be located conveniently for permanent furniture layout. At least two receptacle outlets shall be readily accessible. Where receptacles are installed behind the bed, the receptacle shall be located to prevent the bed from contacting any attachment plug that may be installed, or the receptacle shall be provided with a suitable guard.

brian john

Wayne:

I had a Doberman puppy that chewed a lamp cord,
(I hadn't realized this was going on). One evening I was sitting in my easy chair and smelled something burning , found a lamp cord on fire and tooth marks all over the cord. Put the fire out checked all cords in the house and found no other chewed cords. I never had chewed cord problems again. I think Ruby learned the hard way, what not to chew.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector

I would like to thank, awwt,hurk27 and brian john for the information, it was very usefull. Thanks Again.

G

Hurk27(Wayne) is the hero. This is an NEC Forum and he came up with the NEC. One of these days I too shall have that searchable CD and more of the NEC re-internalized and assimilated.

../Wayne C.

Presented to the "Original" Wayne (Hurk27):
first-place-blue-ribbon.png

Status
Not open for further replies.