Labelling Panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Re: Labelling Panels?

Yeah, I hit the whistle one one time...it just asks if you really wanna tell a mod about this thread--it doesn't do it right away without you saying yes. :D

But yeah...I'm a student. My dad is a contractor, and although he really only does Floors/Counters, I've been exposed to a lot of the construction industry, and feel pretty comfortable doing a lot of stuff, which is how I figured out electrical is really what I wanted to do. :) I found this site one day when I was looking for information on something, then I just started reading...then I realized how much there was to be learned here from you guys, and it's turned out to be true. :) Some of the stuff you guys posts just makes me scratch my head and go wow these guys are really smart. :D And some of it I begin to comprehend. :)

Sometimes me and another member of the site will go ask our teacher about the stuff you guys posts...and he's always wondering how we come up with these questions.

But anyway, as I'm a senior this year, my plans are to graduate, then do a year of community college, do an electronics program, most likely, then go into the Apprenticeship. During that year, I'm also gonna do some work with my stepdad, who owns a company specializing in Laser CNCs to mark on tile, granite, etc... :D He wants me to come to technical stuff, repairs, etc...so I figure might as well do it for the learning experience.

Hmm...speaking of the community college thing...if you guys can think of any classes I should take, suggest them. :D

Anyway...that's my background. :) Hmm...I think there was something else I was going to post. :p Oh, yeah...you can't just leave a knockout in the panel next with nothing filling it, can you? And do they make K/O seals for panels like they do for boxes?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Have you bought a code book?

Look in the index under Boxes (outlet, device, pull and junction), because a panel does fall under the overall heading of a box. If you scroll way way way down, you'll see unused openings, closed, 110.12(A).

One thing I start with before I post a question here is finding the answer on my own. The key is, sometimes the answer warrants a question! :)

midget

Yeah, I got a code book...'99 they were getting rid of them at school because they got '02...so I grabbed one. I just don't have it near the computer...it's by my bed. I read it at night sometimes. I should move it, though. :p I will read that, though. Thanx for the reference. The more I raed, the more I learn how the Code is organized, so it's good for me to read stuff so I learn about the article, and get more comfortable actually finding stuff myself. :)

[ December 12, 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: midget ]

midget

Alright, I got my Code Book...and I looked up some articles. I couldn't remeber the exact article you told me to look at, so I just looked up boxes in the Index--and I was lead to 370-18, which reads:

" Unused cable or raceway openings in boxes and coduit bodies shall be effectively closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to that of the wall of the box or conduit body. Metal plugs or plates used with nonmetallic boxes or conduit bodies shall be recessed at least 1/4 in. (6.35 mm) through a nonmetallic sheathed cable knockout opening. In all instances, sll permitted wiring methods shall be secured to the boxes."

But then I realized the article you were going by was 110.12(A). My first question is, when I looked up boxes in the Index, why wans't this aritlce listed as well? I'm using '99 NEC, if that makes a difference.

But anyway...I read the article, and I believe it is basically saying the same thing as 370-18. Is it not?

110.12(A reads: "Unused openings in boxes, raceways, auxiliary gutters, cabinets, equipment cases, or housings shall be affectively closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment."

So which article applys in the case of a panel? And now that I read your post again, I realized I was unclear about your meaning of leave knockouts? One difference I do notice in the word of this is it just says "unused openings" not "unused cable openings". Is my reference to 370-18 totaly wrong in this context or what? Help me out guys...

Did you mean actually punch them out or leave them in tact? Either way, thanx for the reason to use my Code book and learn my way around it a little more. :)

[ December 16, 2004, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: midget ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Yeah, I'm using 2005, and my trusted 2002 is in my buddy's hands while he gets ready to test.

I'm guessing that ('99)370 changed to ('02)314, "Boxes, etc" don't have my book in front of me, sorry.

The answer is, they both do. Something as general as this gets a little repetition in the code now and then. We knock out the knockouts we intend to use, but sometimes forget how to count: so we use a knockout closure ("push-penny") to close the hole. As far as this is concerned, an opening is an opening. The connector allows us to put the appropriate cable in it.

What 110.12 is also telling you is that electrical tape is not a closure. You have to use a closure as strong as your box.

Status
Not open for further replies.