Kohler 30KW Gen Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboyd

Occupation
Peace Officer
I recently installed a Kohler 30KW diesel generator with the Decision Maker 3000 control module. I bought the unit with 62 hours on it. I went out this week to start it up and recieved a fault code for Max Alt Current Low. I found the description of the fault on page 49 of the manual, however, there is no remedy that I have found for this issue that prevents my generator from starting up.

I have started and run the gen many times without issue. We live in a rural area where getting a technician is not an easy task. Can anyone give me a better description of the problem and how to remedy this matter?

I appreaciate any assistance.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am allowing this thread as it's just a question about a fault code. Any answers should only explain what the fault code is saying and not any "how to" wiring of it.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
The error code you mentioned has to do with the alternator charging current (to start battery) that the firmware monitors during
starting of the unit when the controller boots up. It is indicating that the current monitored is outside the parameter settings in the software for the KW rating of the unit. These settings may have to be checked to make sure they haven't changed.
I would first try a soft boot by turning the controls to off (reset) and waiting 10 minutes for the logic to reset., then try a re-start. If the error keeps coming back the try a hard boot by disconnecting the + cable of the start battery, wait 10 min then reconnect and try starting.
This problem was more common in the older units and they have since upgraded to the newer designs.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.