Knock Outs - Outdoor Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

I know this has been questioned several times, but its been awhile so I am gojng to ask again. Lets say I have a 3R enclosure installed outdoors in a wet location.

1. Can only the factory made knock outs that are below the energized parts be used?

or

2. Can additonal knock outs be made as long as they aren't made above the energized parts? Or more than 2/3 up the enclosure?

or

3. Can knock outs be made anywhere as long as watertight fittings / hubs are used or can any old fitting be used - this is not an issue at all?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Re: Knock Outs - Outdoor Enclosures

`to me its not 1,2 or 3 directly.
312.2 seems to call for wet-location fittings anywhere above uninsulated live parts..and not just "anywhere" since we also must take into account the accompanying deflection of conductor rules

bphgravity

So it would be acceptable as far the NEC/NEMA is concerned to make a knock out on the side of a meter enclosure above the energized parts if a proper fitting were to be used?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

The acceptance of field cut holes is always up to the AHJ. The AHJ needs to consider the hole location, the quality of the hole (i.e. burrs and roundness), and the connector installation.

pierre

We always say the NEC is a permissive document. It also is an ASSUMING document... assuming the work will be installed correctly. ;) We all install it correctly............

So... if the K.O.s are cut properly, the other parameters are hole placement, type of fitting used and bending radius inside the enclosure.

...For enclosures in wet locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.