Kitchen Island Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmaclaff

Occupation
learning
I have seen this issue discussed several times, but 2020 NEC 210.52.C(2)(a) states that one receptacle for the first 9 ft2 and an additional one for each additional 18 ft2. So an Island 5 x 9 feet, 45 ft2, would need 3 receptacles. Most discussions are saying just one is sufficient. Thoughts?

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
I heard something like if the island is on rollers no receptacles are required . california

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One is not compliant with the rules in the 2020 code, as you said, the rule in the 2020 code would require 3 receptacle outlets for the 9x5 island.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have seen this issue discussed several times, but 2020 NEC 210.52.C(2)(a) states that one receptacle for the first 9 ft2 and an additional one for each additional 18 ft2. So an Island 5 x 9 feet, 45 ft2, would need 3 receptacles. Most discussions are saying just one is sufficient. Thoughts?

And yet a 9x2 island would only need one

bmaclaff

Occupation
learning
Thanks for the responses. I caused part of the confusion in the thread by my abbreviation "ft2" for square feet. It looks like there is agreement that the 2020 code would indeed require 3 outlets. The tough thing is that if you have cabinetry installed, you have one outlet on either end, but where do you put the third one? On this particular island [which is a single flat surface], the bulk of one side was made up of a 23 inch kneehole for bar stool dining space. 210.52 (C) (3) (3) states that I cant install one below the counter top when it extends more than 6 inches beyond its support base. I could read this to mean that the "support base" was the 9 inch base unit at either end of the knee hole and install one within 12 inches of the countertop edge in the cabinet wall. If that's not feasible, my only remaining choice would be to install one "in" the countertop surface as stated in (C) (3)(2). Haven't done that before, but there are a range of popup outlets out there. Any other bright ideas?

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the responses. I caused part of the confusion in the thread by my abbreviation "ft2" for square feet. It looks like there is agreement that the 2020 code would indeed require 3 outlets. The tough thing is that if you have cabinetry installed, you have one outlet on either end, but where do you put the third one? On this particular island [which is a single flat surface], the bulk of one side was made up of a 23 inch kneehole for bar stool dining space. 210.52 (C) (3) (3) states that I cant install one below the counter top when it extends more than 6 inches beyond its support base. I could read this to mean that the "support base" was the 9 inch base unit at either end of the knee hole and install one within 12 inches of the countertop edge in the cabinet wall. If that's not feasible, my only remaining choice would be to install one "in" the countertop surface as stated in (C) (3)(2). Haven't done that before, but there are a range of popup outlets out there. Any other bright ideas?
In the past when top hangs over too far I have put receptacle face down in a surface mounted box on underside of counter top near the edge. Maybe a Wiremold box and if necessary short piece of Wiremold to sleeve the cable.

Isn't exactly something covered by code but still puts the receptacle where they seem to want it. Of course your inspector still needs to accept it.

bmaclaff

Occupation
learning
Great idea, kwired! Thanks for that. Yeah, inspector has the last say, but that is probably one of the best ways to be compliant with both the spirit and the letter of the "law"!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A duplexr receptacle should work nicely. Right? In terms of design the code is silent as to where those two need to be as long as you meet overhang and distance down from top dimensions.
So what you're saying is that there is no spacing requirement just the number of receptacles?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A duplexr receptacle should work nicely. Right? In terms of design the code is silent as to where those two need to be as long as you meet overhang and distance down from top dimensions.
The rule does not call for receptacles, it calls for receptacle outlets. A duplex receptacle is installed at a single receptacle outlet.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would ask the AHJ where I live the inspector counts a duplex receptacle as two outlets. So if you lived here you would only need to install two.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
The rule does not call for receptacles, it calls for receptacle outlets. A duplex receptacle is installed at a single receptacle outlet.
Don , just for understanding purposes .. would a two circuit cable feeding a duplex receptacle device with broken tabs satisfy or may be two Sillite type receptacle outlets side by side ?

Status
Not open for further replies.