Kitchen Arc Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainCat

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I have seen and been told that a dishwasher outlet under the sink does not require arc-fault protection, only GFI protection.
This does not seem to comply with the general requirement for kitchen outlets to be arc-fault protected, please comment.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
GFCI or AFCI depends on WHERE you either plug it in, or hardwire it.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I guess if you read hard enough between lines you might be able to determine that.

Not many AHJ's (maybe not any) are interpreting it this way though.

480sparky

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arc-fault
circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required in
210.12(A), (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit interrupter shall
be installed in a readily accessible location.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-
ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in
dwelling unit kitchens
, family rooms, dining rooms, living
rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or
areas shall be protected by any of the means described in
210.12(A)(1) through (6......

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI or AFCI depends on WHERE you either plug it in, or whether is it hardwired or not.
Most GFCI requirements depend on location of a receptacle, a few do not.

AFCI's requirements are not dependent on receptacles being present. Early AFCI requirements said "outlets" now it includes outlets and devices in the rooms that are mentioned. so an outdoor light doesn't require AFCI, but if the switch is inside the switch still may be in a location that triggers requirements. Add: or if any other portion of same circuit requires AFCI that outside light will be AFCI protected anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
210.8(D)

not afci, but gfci in a dwelling
You mentioned both earlier.

GFCI in a dwelling is primarily only required for receptacle outlets, though there are a few other cases where required even if no receptacle - the dishwasher is one of those, and most anything covered in art 680 is going to have a GFCI requirement whether cord and plug connected or not.

480sparky

GFCI in a dwelling is primarily only required for receptacle outlets, though there are a few other cases where required even if no receptacle - the dishwasher is one of those, and most anything covered in art 680 is going to have a GFCI requirement whether cord and plug connected or not.

Art 680? Who has swimming pools in their kitchens?

kwired

Electron manager
Art 680? Who has swimming pools in their kitchens?
comment was to dwellings in general. That said going back to OP is the dishwasher receptacle in the cabinet under the kitchen sink in the kitchen or not? Most will likely say yes, read between lines hard enough and you maybe can have somewhat a case that it is not. I would need to look again at 2020, but think they did clarify this some in there, at least as to how it would apply to GFCI protection, maybe still not very clear for AFCI.

480sparky

comment was to dwellings in general. That said going back to OP is the dishwasher receptacle in the cabinet under the kitchen sink in the kitchen or not? Most will likely say yes, read between lines hard enough and you maybe can have somewhat a case that it is not. I would need to look again at 2020, but think they did clarify this some in there, at least as to how it would apply to GFCI protection, maybe still not very clear for AFCI.

210.12(A) makes it pretty clear to me.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Because the OP did.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I recently wired a shop/garage that had cabinets that used to be in the kitchen of the house...:whistle:
I have also. Wired a dishwasher, stove, and countertop receptacles for a “second kitchen” for large family gatherings.
All GFCI in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.