KEYED Porcelain light socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Must a keyed porcelain light socket in unfinished basement be GFCI protection . 2011 code. [ what article please ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A "keyed" light socket is not a receptacle, and will not require GFCI protection. If the socket also has a receptacle it will require GFCI protection.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Must a keyed porcelain light socket in unfinished basement be GFCI protection . 2011 code. [ what article please ]
As Don stated if the keyed device contains a receptacle then that receptacle requires GFCI protection.
2011 NEC: {210.8(A)(5)}

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Most are some type of plastic now, but they were all porcelain in the past, and you had to be careful as your tightened the mounting screws to avoid cracking the porcelain.
Yes, that's true when I was ancient. Most of the domestic lighting here are LEDs now.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Never heard the term "keyed" we just call them "keyless" and I don't even know why they are called that!

They used to have a little turn thingy sticking out to turn the bulb on and off, just like some lamp holders for lamps still do. That turn thingy is called a "key".

If it uses a pull chain it's called a "porcelain pull chain".

If there is no way to control the lamp via the socket it's called a "porcelain keyless".

-Hal

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They used to have a little turn thingy sticking out to turn the bulb on and off, just like some lamp holders for lamps still do. That turn thingy is called a "key".

If it uses a pull chain it's called a "porcelain pull chain".

If there is no way to control the lamp via the socket it's called a "porcelain keyless".

-Hal
(y)

They messed everything up when they started making them out of plastic.
It just doesn't have the same flow. "Give me a plastic keyless"... They look at you funny behind the counter.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Here is a Lamp key
1618129276610.png
In past I've found an old lamp that actually had a square shank for the key to fit at first I didn't figure out what I was looking at, thought it was broke.
Like already commented probably hold over from the old gas lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.