junction in service entrance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artifex1

Is it OK to put a junction box where an old fuse box is and the existing service entrance wires are not quite long enough to reach into the new service equipment? This would put a junction in the service entrance wires with about 2 feet of new wiring going into the new box. Could the junction box be connected to the new service equipment?

Thanks

[ August 28, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: artifex1 ]

charlie

Re: junction in service entrance?

230.46 Spliced Conductors. Service-entrance conductors shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped in accordance with 110.14, 300.5(E), 300.13, and 300.15.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Charlie: Do all utility companies allow the service conductors, to be spliced by others?

At one time, So.Cal. Edison would not permit a splice from the transformer to the meter, unless done by their lineman.

I think the City of Los Angeles will not permit a splice either.

This issue appears to be a back step in assuring a good credible system, factoring in the conductors are unfused.

charlie

Bennie, IPL and many others stop at the service point. After the service point, it is up to the AHJ to make the call. Since the NEC does not prohibit splicing in the service entrance conductors, the AHJs hands are basically tied.

I happen to agree with you and feel like the service entrance conductors should have no splices other than is required for metering, making connections with the electric utility, bus joints, etc. As far as the service drop or lateral, they are in the purview of the electric utility and no one is permitted to splice them except the utility.

I would like to see the rule back that prohibits the service entrance conductors from being spliced. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.