junction boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't remember anything in the NEC that would prohibit something like that but there should be something in the specs from the engineer. It may never happen, but there should never be a reason to have to enter another unit because you're looking for a problem in another. It could also encourage theft of service if the unit owner with the box realizes that there are accessible circuits in his unit that are on another meter.

-Hal

Occupation
master electrician
I don't remember anything in the NEC that would prohibit something like that but there should be something in the specs from the engineer. It may never happen, but there should never be a reason to have to enter another unit because you're looking for a problem in another. It could also encourage theft of service if the unit owner with the box realizes that there are accessible circuits in his unit that are on another meter.

-Hal
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There has got to be something in the building code or somewhere about this. I can't imagine this is allowed. I agree with Hal, I cannot find anything about it but it feels wrong.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
J-boxes need access, not ready access, so it shouldn't be prohibited.

It's not prohibited by the NEC but since these are condos each unit is individually owned just like a house. I know that sometimes it's unavoidable and things like service feeders and plumbing must be run through units, but they aren't accessible to the owners or something that is subject to maintenance. Technically or legally, this could be construed as something owned by another unit owner in somebody else's unit subjecting the unit owner with the box to monetary or other compensation.

I'm sure if you look hard enough there is something that would prohibit this. Is this new work?

-Hal

Last edited:
Occupation
master electrician
It's not prohibited by the NEC but since these are condos each unit is individually owned just like a house. I know that sometimes it's unavoidable and things like service feeders and plumbing must be run through units, but they aren't accessible to the owners or something that is subject to maintenance. Technically or legally, this could be construed as something owned by another unit owner in somebody else's unit subjecting the unit owner with the box to monetary or other compensation.

I'm sure if you look hard enough there is something that would prohibit this. Is this new work?

-Hal
The building is actually being turned into a 2 family flat, which will be rented out by the owner(s) but both units will be separately metered
The junction box if needed would be placed in the ceiling of the basement unit
Pulling all the 1st & 2nd floor level circuits from existing panel spice in j box run jumpers to new panel on 1st level
existing panel in basement will be for basement unit

new panel on 1st floor will be for 1st &2nd floors

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It might be code compliant but IMO it's a poor design. PS, I've done it in a two family house when I needed to re-route some circuits. ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would do it if necessary, but I would be sure to make good splices, use matching colors, and matching cables if possible.

My goal would be to do as much as I can to ensure that the mystery junction box never needs to be located for an issue.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I would do it if necessary, but I would be sure to make good splices, use matching colors, and matching cables if possible.

And make it easy for the owner of that unit to connect his media center or grow lights to a free source of power.

Long time ago I had a guy who worked for me who was always broke. He lived in an apartment, one room of which was part of the hallway at one time. The hallways had ceiling fixtures on a "house" meter circuit and always on. There was a ceiling fixture box in his apartment and simply blanked off. You can guess how he powered his electric heater and microwave.

Noooo, nobody's ever going to know what that box is for.

-Hal

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And make it easy for the owner of that unit to connect his media center or grow lights to a free source of power.
That would be a concern of mine.
I would still do it if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.