Junction Box Identifing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyrpb

Can anyone offer any code article regarding marking voltage and circuit numbers on the covers of junction boxes. There is a large grocery store here in south Florida and we were told to go back and mark all the junction boxes for future ease and reference. Is this required by code??

Thanks to all

ryan_618

Re: Junction Box Identifing

I can think of nothing that requires this for a typical circuit. The only thing even remotely close I can think of is 210.4, which doesn't apply to a J-box cover.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Seems as though this is a design specification along with color coding the conduit systems on 75% of all jobs we do.

If this were a Hospital 517.19(A) would apply.

Is the inspector asking you to do this.

Roger

[ May 27, 2004, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

hbendillo

This is usually a specification requirement as Roger alluded and a very good idea. Not a NEC requirement of which I am aware so if the inpspector is requesting it, it may be a local code or his personal preference.

By the way Roger, what NEC issue are you looking at because 517-19(A) is "Patient Bed Location Branch Circuits" in the 2002 code. This requires the receptacle to be identified not a local junction box.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hbendillo, you are correct, I just put that in as an aside to the junction box cover labeling.

I agree that this is an excellent idea, not only for maintenance personnel but for service people or for future additions.

Roger

pierre

I agree with Mike, as my experience has been the same. I know the NEC and some other codes require identification of the different parts, but in a lot of instances I would not trust the identification, either from misidentification, or changes made and not correctly identified. :(
It seems that most people are in too much of a hurry these days.

Pierre

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Mike where in Dutchess county are you ??Rhinebeck area.

Status
Not open for further replies.