Journey exap

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy.v

Greetings to every one: I am an apprentice in Texas, and I am planning to take the journeyman exam from the Southern Building Code Congress International, and I was wondering if any one from Texas or anywhere else have taked the exap given by SBCCI, and if someone has could you tell me what the exam may consist of, any info will be helpfull. I don't want the answers just maybe what areas in the code book I may need to be more concerned with. Thank you.

Re: Journey exap

Your Journeyman's Exam will be based on Code, Theory and Calculations. If you are in need of further information you can contact me directly at 1-800-881-2580

rudy.v

Originally posted by ilene levy:
Your Journeyman's Exam will be based on Code, Theory and Calculations. If you are in need of further information you can contact me directly at 1-800-881-2580
ilene:Thank you for your responce, I kind of figured that the test would hac\ve all the item's you mentioned. I thank you I will call on you.

physis

I'm going to have to become "licensed" myself in California. Are there any texts or other material anyone could recommend to prepare. I've had some bad experiences wasting good money on materials that really weren't worth the paper wasted to produce them.

For anyone else interested I've got some material writen by Charles R. Miller I'm very happy with.

bphgravity

I suggest using both Mike Holt's and Tom Henry's exam preparation material. I would also consider taking am exam seminar shortly before the exam date to get last minute tips and tricks. If you plan on being in the SW Florida area anytime this summer, you can take one of my exam prep courses! :p

canman

Rudy,when i took the SBCCI exam they provided a small book that listed how much of the exam was on each section of the code.Study exactly what this book tells you to study.I also used Mike Holts exam prep book to help increase my ability to find answers more quickly.He also gives some great advice on how to approach this test,or any test in the front of the book.It is code,code,and more code. if you cant find the answer you cant pass so practice a lot.Bobby

rudy.v

Originally posted by canman:
Rudy,when i took the SBCCI exam they provided a small book that listed how much of the exam was on each section of the code.Study exactly what this book tells you to study.I also used Mike Holts exam prep book to help increase my ability to find answers more quickly.He also gives some great advice on how to approach this test,or any test in the front of the book.It is code,code,and more code. if you cant find the answer you cant pass so practice a lot.Bobby
Bobby: thank you for the responce, I have Mike Holt's exam prep book, and yes it is very helpful, I guess when you say practice do you mean looking for the answer in the code book?

canman

Rudy,yes that is exactly what I meant.If you do not already know the answer to the question you must be able to locate it quickly as your test is timed and this translates into only minutes allowed per question.

rudy.v

Originally posted by canman:
Rudy,yes that is exactly what I meant.If you do not already know the answer to the question you must be able to locate it quickly as your test is timed and this translates into only minutes allowed per question.
Thanks: yes I have been studing the electrical exam prep book and the NEC.

chris white

Being able to find those answers as quick as possible is a skill developed through practice, much like an athletic skill. After a lot of practice you can read a question and know which place to look first--your tabs, the index, or the table of contents. All have their place. I used Mike Holt's Exam Prep book to study the steps for the calculations--load calcs, voltage drops, wire fill, sizing, motors, x-formers, etc. and to get saturated with NEC q's. As you spend hours looking up questions, both easy and hard, you remember where things are, and these things will come back to you when you answer other questions. As the exam got closer, I used Tom Henry's master's workbook with the 70 question NEC practice exams. I timed myself at strict 2 hours, and it was very hard to finish them. By the time I finished the 12 exams, I was doing them with time to spare and scoring in the 90s.

Although you should thoroughly learn how to do all the calculations before the test, remember that if you get stuck in the middle of the test, "Annex D" in the back of the code book has examples of a lot of calcs, and you can always refer to that.

kcolwell

I haven't used Mike Holt's exam prep. material, but I have used Tom Henry's. I purchased the 12 video Master's collection, watched a video a day, and passed the SBCCI Master's exam the first time! Of course this also required a lot of preparation/studying, and a strong understanding of the material.

I have a friend who borrowed the videos to prepare for the SBCCI journeyman's exam, he passed it the first time as well!

The only other advice I can give you besides the obvious "study the code" is to make very detailed notes (in ink) on only the numbered pages in your code book. I even went as far as to create a "Table of Contents" for my notes so I could reference them quickly.

In my opinion, part of taking on the responsibility of being a "licensed" electrician is realizing you don't have to know everything...you just need to know how and where to find the information you need when you need it. (Otherwise, the exam would be entirely closed book.)

Good luck and if you have any questions you can email me at colwellkelly@hotmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.