Jet A Fuel Farm Classified or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdr96

There is an existing fuel farm I've been asked to help classify. There are 4 UG 20K gallon tanks of Jet A. MSDS sheet lists flash point of Jet A at 110 F to 150 F, which would make it combustible, but not flammable. A fuel systems engineer confirmed that Jet A does not create the vapors that gasoline or avgas does, and they do not use vapor recovery with Jet A. It almost seems that the fuel farm would not be classified, however, the MSDS also notes that it should "be kept away from heat, flame, and sources of ignition." The classification, or lack thereof, needs to be determined for OSHA 29 CFR 1910.307. I haven't found anything in NFPA 30 or NEC that would really make this a classified area, other than just the thinking that this is fuel. I don't have NFPA 497, yet, so I'm not sure what that might address. Any thoughts?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The MSDS would set it as a Class II or IIIA Combustible Liquid. In general, for storage only, it would not be considered a source of ignitible vapors.

Last edited:

Sdr96

There is also the loading and unloading operation from the large tanker trucks into the tanks, and then from the tanks to refueler vehicles, however, these are all done though closed systems connections, i.e. hoses connected before valves opened.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Basically, unless the process involves heating a Class II Combustible product above its flashpoint (and what you have described so far doesn't) then there is no reason that the product will create a classified location.

Status
Not open for further replies.