Its my first pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

I am bidding my first pool and I have read the code but I have a few questions.

Heres what I got. Small aboveground permanent pool. 1 circulating pump nameplate 12A cordconnected No lighting or heating equipment.
It has mettalic shell and metal braces around the whole pool

Heres what I plan to do. Bond every brace, the metal shell and the motor with a bare #8. I will connect the #8 with mechanical lugs. The bond wire hooks to no electrode or ground wire in the panel? The motor I am going to put a 20A twistlock between 5 an 10 ft. away with a 3 ft. cord. The motor will be on a switch in the house. The wiring in the house for the motor will done with NM and PVC with THWN outside the house? There is a existing plug 18' away. Anything I am missing?

bphgravity

Re: Its my first pool

In my opinion, if the pump motor is effectively isolated form the pool and its components, that bonding should not be made. That is, any connect that ties the equipotential plane of the pool to the premise wiring provides a direct path of stray voltage and in my opinion objectionable currents. The pool motor is bonded by means of an equipment grounding conductor which eventually makes it back to the neutral to ground bond. I feel bonding this motor to the pool is unnecessary as it makes the pool and nice grounding electrode.

I feel the danger of an open utility neutral or even of your neighbors is greater than that of possible touch and step voltages. However, if the pump motor is in the same vicinity as the pool, than bonded would be desired.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Bryan,
680.26(B)(4) requires the bonding grid to be connected to the pool pump motor.
Don

jes25

So I bond the pump motor case (its only a couple feet away) The pump will be effectively grounded via the egc. So the whole pool will be grounded. If the pump is double insulated then I hook the bond wire directly to the egc on the pump? Correct?

bphgravity

Originally posted by jes25:
If the pump is double insulated then I hook the bond wire directly to the egc on the pump? Correct?
Yes, which is something I don't understand. The section begins with the explanation of why the bonding is performed, to eliminate voltage gradients at the pool area. If the pump is not in the vicinity of the pool, pool deck, or pool enclosure, then I see no purpose for connecting the #8 to the equipotential plane.

Yes, there will be a potential between the pump and the pool, but who cares if the equipment is not in the vicinity of the pool. I suppose if the case is elevated voltages, then what do you do about the neighbors pool and equipment which is only 5' feet away across the lot line, or as I see often, the service equipment which is near the pool location? :eek:

jes25

Bryan, thanks for the answer, but you got to be careful with "for the sake of discussion" You might lead a young guy like me astray. :D Much thanks anyhow Your knowlege is appreciated more than you know

electricmanscott

I think bonding every brace and is overkill. I usually go around the pool and attach it four times. This I think is also overkill as the pool is all screwed together any way. In reality one connection between the pool and motor should be ok. Don't forget to use dirct burial pool lugs if you are bonding at the bottom of the pool. You may also know this but I learned the hard way. Use "Lay in" lugs that the wire sits into rather than having to thread through each one. Most importantly let someone else dig the trench! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.