Issues with Dual Function Breakers on 120/208 commercial panels

synchro

Occupation
EE
Does public safety personel with two way radios ever enter the buildings?

Thats an interesting question because just about all personnel here have hi band radios, its how we operate. Could that affect the breakers in some negative radio? thanks

The RF from the two way radios could get rectified by semiconductor junctions in the DF breaker, and this could conceivably cause it to trip. If you want, you might key up a 2-way radio near a 2-wire extension cord that's plugged into a receptacle to see if it would cause a DF breaker to trip.

You might try putting a ferrite toroid on the pair of hot and neutral output wires from the dual function breaker that 's tripping in the empty room.

The toroid at the first link below would introduce a common-mode impedance to reduce interference at High Band (i.e., around 150 MHz). The one at the second link would work better for lower frequency interference. You could try both.
If you have enough slack, have the hot & neutral pair make one loop around the toroid to increase the impedance. Otherwise, just pass the pair through the opening.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
He has a 368FC, I believe thats the meter to have for this kinda issue:
Yes, this particular meter is intended for leakage currents. My comment was more for general information. Many people think all clamp-ons can read really small currents.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The 30ma (Class B) breaker is a easier cheaper test for a field electrician, as that is a very quick test to see if you have a serious ground fault >30ma or a possible nuisance trip >5ma - 30ma.

HertzGood85

Usually those type of places are wired in MC, but I don’t think the op has specified. Many years ago I troubleshot an assisted living complex when they first came out with arc faults. Panelboards were full of them. Each breaker put out enough heat from the breakers that the panel cover was almost too hot to touch. Siemens paid us to replace all of them, never heard anymore about it. A lot of wasted 12-3 mc on that job, the pm and foreman didn’t realize they required separate neutrals.
That is really bad when you get that kind of heat from a breaker, i do notice that these dual function breakers seem to run kind of warm all the time. I don't know if thats common but it makes me think there is alot more going on in there than in just a single function breaker which i dont really like.

HertzGood85

You have the best tool for the job as it can detect "complex, non-sinusoidal waveforms" so no matter how that 4-6ma is happing you should be able to see it with the meter.
I am wondering how are you taking the leakage current readings with the 368FC?
I'd replace the breaker with a standard 20A breaker (or a 30ma breaker if you have to leave it)
Set the fluke 368FC measure (log) the 'max' current 'imbalance'.
View attachment 2571338
Then clamp both the hot and neutral
View attachment 2571337
You should see an 'event' over 4ma.

I'd bring a standard plain old 20A breaker, a GFCI breaker as well as a 30ma 'GFPE' (class b) GFCI for that panel just to eliminate possibilities and study the issue.I

I have been taking measurements with the clamp around the hot and nuetral at the end of circuit and at the breaker and im always getting around .7 mA leakage current. or so it says.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Less expensive than multiple brands of gfci.
I picked up the ones I got off ebay, and the only ones I have needed so far are just plug on interchangeable load-centers.
Here is two for less than 50 bucks shipped to your door:
1714056069391.png

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have been taking measurements with the clamp around the hot and nuetral at the end of circuit and at the breaker and im always getting around .7 mA leakage current. or so it says.
Ok thats correct, Are you setting it to 'log' so it can record a trip event?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Here is a SQ D bolt on class B gfci breaker:
Nice finds. I almost never think of buying from other than my local suppliers.
I picked up the ones I got off ebay, and the only ones I have needed so far are just plug on interchangeable load-centers.
Here is two for less than 50 bucks shipped to your door:
View attachment 2571352

kwired

Electron manager
Here is a SQ D bolt on class B gfci breaker:
If I needed just one I'd probably try Ebay first. I remember asking a price at supply house for the plug on version probably at least 15 or so years ago and seems it was over $200 then, likely even higher today. And they would have needed to order from Square D as well as they had none in stock.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The thing I like about the class B GFCI breaker is its a easily explainable test and easily reproduced by say an appliance vendor.
I can say "I tested it on a 30ma breaker thats 5X less sensitive than a GFCI and it still tripped when the compressor started"...

synchro

Occupation
EE
Can you disconnect both the hot and neutral wires from the output of a breaker that is having issues on an empty room, and then see if that breaker will ever trip?
I have not tried that. If an unwired breaker doesn't trip that would indicate that breakers is bad correct?
If an unwired breaker trips it could indicate a bad breaker, or at least one that is more sensitive to voltage spikes on the panel bus or other power quality issues.

If the DF breaker does not trip when both the hot and neutral wires are disconnected from its output, a suggestion is to try it with only the neutral wire connected. Then if it starts tripping, something other than current leakage from hot to ground must be causing the tripping.