Island Plugs - does that include USB outlets?

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
All, we have a builder that wants to put USB outlets on the side of Islands. The is a 4 USB outlet with no standard 120v plug outlets, USB only. Does the new "no plugs on sides of islands" prohibit USB only plugs?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Joe

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
Technically, no.....I would not consider a USB outlet to be classified as a receptacle. But I wasn't sure if it being a very low voltage outlet if it would still be considered a hazard.

Last edited:

Mr.Y

Occupation
Electrical engineer
But your USB outlet powered out of 120v, you just have 5v output from the USB

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I guess I missed something here. You cant put receptacles on islands any more??

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I guess I missed something here. You cant put receptacles on islands any more??
From what I've read here, the issue is plugging in the crock pot under the edge of the island and some kid pulling on the cord, to bad effect.
Especially interesting since most appliance cords are only 2' or so these days.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
From what I've read here, the issue is plugging in the crock pot under the edge of the island and some kid pulling on the cord, to bad effect.
Especially interesting since most appliance cords are only 2' or so these days.

From what I read in the 2023 NEC, it is not a prohibition from installing a receptacle anywhere on an island, it is just not required.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
From what I read in the 2023 NEC, it is not a prohibition from installing a receptacle anywhere on an island, it is just not required.
Wasn't there something about if the overhang of the top of the island was more than X inches you couldn't put an outlet under it?

kwired

Electron manager
Wasn't there something about if the overhang of the top of the island was more than X inches you couldn't put an outlet under it?
That just prohibited it from counting as a required receptacle that serves the countertop.

2023 doesn't require the receptacle in certain conditions that was required before is the only change, you can still put one there if you wish.

In any case a USB outlet won't count as any 210.52 required outlet. So far anyway.

Could be debated whether a USB outlet can be part of a SABC though. Strictest reading of requirements possibly means it can not be.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Methinks it may be believed that making it optional somehow shifts the burden of liability to the homeowner if there is a related injury.

To wit: "Hey, you chose the risk when you elected to have a receptacle installed!"

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Per the 2023, if a receptacle outlet is installed on kitchen island it has to be either on the island(pop up) or above the island. If you choose not to install a receptacle at island, you are still required to bring SABC to island and cap off in j box for future.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Per the 2023, if a receptacle outlet is installed on kitchen island it has to be either on the island(pop up) or above the island. If you choose not to install a receptacle at island, you are still required to bring SABC to island and cap off in j box for future.
You only have to have provisions to being that circuit to the island. An actual circuit and junction box is not required if you can install a circuit in the future without damaging finishes, such as the case where the island is above an unfinished basement.
Of course, there is no definition of provisions, and what your AHJ says will apply, but 404.2(C)(2) is a similar case and permits the required neutral to be installed in the future if it can be accomplished without removing finishes.

Buck Parrish

You only have to have provisions to being that circuit to the island. An actual circuit and junction box is not required if you can install a circuit in the future without damaging finishes, such as the case where the island is above an unfinished basement.
Of course, there is no definition of provisions, and what your AHJ says will apply, but 404.2(C)(2) is a similar case and permits the required neutral to be installed in the future if it can be accomplished without removing finishes.
If you're on a concrete slab to the island. The required provision would be a conduit to the island. (be it an empty conduit)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Per the 2023, if a receptacle outlet is installed on kitchen island it has to be either on the island(pop up) or above the island.
True if it is installed to serve the countertop (210.52(C)(2)). But receptacles can be installed anywhere on the kitchen island for other purposes (e.g. 210.52(A) wall receptacles).

Cheers, Wayne

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I think the NEC created this whole mess by requiring ac outlets at islands in the first place.... Anybody with me on that?
I see you do not cook!

Or you have battery powered waffle maker and food processor? So, not NEC requirement as much as homeowner now draping extension cord across to the island!!! :eek:

In my case it is also where I do a lot of my quick soldering work. Great lighting on the island. Have to plug in the soldering gun (remember those?) 😄 Lead and food, maybe not the best, so be sure to clean up after soldering....:ROFLMAO: Before rolling out the cookie dough...(y)