Island pendant and recessed lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Would like thoughts on lighting layouts for residential kitchens.

Do most here try to make a conscious effort to "line up" recessed ceiling can lights and create a square or rectangular pattern for instance in the ceiling or just place them randomly to achieve the best task lighting?

Also, pendants over the island never seem to lay out where they are proportional to the cans.

Always seem shifted to one side or the other due to the placement or size of island.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Over counter-tops, they should be located to suit the work spaces, and of course, be equal distance from the wall.

For specific work spaces, they should ignore the walls and be patterned for the shape of the work space surface.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I seldom if ever try to match pendant lights over an island with the can light pattern. I just install them where the customer wants them, which is usually centered and equal distance from each end, depending on the number of lights. A living room or bedroom, I try to make a pattern with cans. In the litchen, it is more task related with some pattern if room allows it.

nizak

I seldom if ever try to match pendant lights over an island with the can light pattern. I just install them where the customer wants them, which is usually centered and equal distance from each end, depending on the number of lights. A living room or bedroom, I try to make a pattern with cans. In the litchen, it is more task related with some pattern if room allows it.
Thanks.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Kitchens are not all the same. There's just really not a cookie cutter approach. I design a lot of kitchen lighting layouts, and I always ask how they plan on using the kitchen and how they plan on using each space.

Island pendants are rarely going to line up with can lights. Sometimes the island is so big, for long, or there are multiples. In those instances less can be more. I usually try to have no more than three pendants over an island. If that's not going to be enough light, I will accentuate it with small spotlights, 3in or 4in

Sometimes the island is placed in such a way that having symmetrical can lighting layout interferes with dependents. In those cases, the pendants have to be a priority and some of those can lights may have to be eliminated.

Task lighting for counters that are against the wall can be done with spotlights or under cabinet lighting, or even a combination of both.

But I suppose it depends on the budget also. I'm used to working in kitchens that range anywhere from $80,000 up to $200,000

Status
Not open for further replies.