Is this was ever legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalspike

I went to see a electrical panel in apartment building. There is a 2 main panels one is a ?amp 1PH ( 1.0 wire feeding this panel) second is 150A 3PH. In the basement there is a one meter 2 disconnect switch. From the meter there is 225Amp 3Ph disconnect switch feeding other 150Amp 3Ph disconnect switch and they bug that 1.0 wire for second panel 1PH ?amp going to apartment on 16 floor (from that 225amp).
I hope you can understand what i wrote here.
is this was ever legal?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If I follow correctly, you have a 1/0 wire protected by a 225 amp overcurrent device. The 1/0 would have to be protected at it's amapcity or meet one of the Art 240 exceptions which it certainly dos not appear to do in this case. The install, as I understand it, would have never been legal.

kwired

Electron manager
I went to see a electrical panel in apartment building. There is a 2 main panels one is a ?amp 1PH ( 1.0 wire feeding this panel) second is 150A 3PH. In the basement there is a one meter 2 disconnect switch. From the meter there is 225Amp 3Ph disconnect switch feeding other 150Amp 3Ph disconnect switch and they bug that 1.0 wire for second panel 1PH ?amp going to apartment on 16 floor (from that 225amp).
is this was ever legal?

I am understanding you have a feeder tap with a length that covers at least the rise of 16 floors? If so you have exceeded length of any of the tap rules , unless this tap is run on exterior of building or maybe encased in 2 inches of concrete for most of the run, then it might be ok. If we get past the length issue there still needs to be proper overcurrent protection at the end of the tap.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I can't tell the configuration, from your words. I'm sorry.

What I can't understand is how many "service disconnects" (Article 100 Definitions) are connected. I can almost read that there are three service disconnects, but I'm not sure. Are any of the "disconnect switches" (your term) actually "service disconnects"?

I suspect that you may have two separate services, three phase, and single phase. . . but that also is not clear.

michalspike

This is how its go.
From meter to 225Amp 3ph disconnect(breaker)
From that there is through box install and it is going to 150 Amp 3Ph disconnect(breaker)
In that through there is tap for single phase panel located on 16 floor. i guess there is not OCP on or is 225 amp.
I thought this is not legal. but I'm young and maybe that was some old school.

kwired

Electron manager
is this was ever legal?

This is how its go.
From meter to 225Amp 3ph disconnect(breaker)
From that there is through box install and it is going to 150 Amp 3Ph disconnect(breaker)
In that through there is tap for single phase panel located on 16 floor. i guess there is not OCP on or is 225 amp.
I thought this is not legal. but I'm young and maybe that was some old school.

Trying to picture order of things and this is what I understand.

service>>>>225 amp breaker>>feeder tap, with additional tap going to 16th floor>>150 amp breaker>>>>

If that is correct understanding it is wrong. The 1/0 between the 225 amp breaker and the 150 amp breaker is probably fine if under 25 feet long (legal feeder tap). But "tapping the tap" is violation of all the feeder tap rules.

If the run to 16th floor is outside or encased in 2 inches of concrete it may be able to be considered outdoor taps of unlimited length, but needs to have supply connected to the 225 amp feeder and not another tap conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.