Is there any safe electric baseboard heat available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Looked a a job to install electric baseboard in a bedroom.
I noticed that another room had hot water baseboard and a common area that a plumber could tap off that room to bring heat to the bed room.
Mentioned I didn't like the electric heaters especially in a bed room.

Do they make safer hydronic electric baseboard heaters now adays, or is it still pretty dangerous if not watched.

Thank you

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know why you think electric baseboard heat is unsafe. I have it in all three bedrooms in my house, and in the living and dining rooms as well. Mine is not hydronic, but simply electric heat with a fan. They all work very well in heating their respective rooms. I don't have any furniture directly in front of a heater when it is in use, so I don't see any safety issues.

growler

I don't know why you think electric baseboard heat is unsafe.

Some of the older electric baseboard heaters were not considered all that safe.

In the last 20 years are so they have gotten much better. I don't see any problem with them.

One thing I have learned to do if possible is burn the heaters in a bit before installing. I hook them up (outside) and let them burn the coating of the heater and that gets rid of the smell that bothers people.

I installed dozens and dozens of hydronic baseboard heaters in western NJ back in the 80s and they worked great. They have never posed any risk of fire since the heat comes from heated liquid in a sealed tube, not an exposed element. They cost a lot more than traditional baseboard heaters, but they are quiet (no creaking) and the heat is more even. Like others have said though, traditional heaters are perfectly safe. The only thing that I don't like about them is that they cause dirt on the walls above them over time due to the transfer of room dirt/dust via the heat flow.

Most of the risk that you hear about electric heaters in bedrooms is caused by people using portable ones with extension cords or allowing them to be covered with clothing, blankets or other flammable materials.

http://www.heateroutlet.com/productcart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=110

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Some of the older electric baseboard heaters were not considered all that safe.

In the last 20 years are so they have gotten much better. I don't see any problem with them.

One thing I have learned to do if possible is burn the heaters in a bit before installing. I hook them up (outside) and let them burn the coating of the heater and that gets rid of the smell that bothers people.

I installed cove heating in an older home and did not let the new burn off. The owners called after the first frosty evening they were used. She was laughing about how she was sure the neighbors thought the house was on fire. Lots of smoke and they opened the doors to air it out, which just compounded the appearance of it.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I had bb heat in an apt some years back. I didn't worry, as I kept a lot of clearance around them. But I once did some work for a local landlord and don't see how some of his houses didn't burn down. Most had bb heat and tenants had clothes, furniture, etc. piled right against them a lot. I told people they needed to clear the area but next time, no change.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I had bb heat in an apt some years back. I didn't worry, as I kept a lot of clearance around them. But I once did some work for a local landlord and don't see how some of his houses didn't burn down. Most had bb heat and tenants had clothes, furniture, etc. piled right against them a lot. I told people they needed to clear the area but next time, no change.

And that would have been labeled as an Electrical Fire.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I had to replace all my electric heaters several years ago. They were all over 10 years old. Most of them were in-wall units. There were two in the Living Room that were external to the wall and sitting on the carpet. My wife had expressed concern about the heat source being that close to carpet. But the manufacturer's instructions were clear in their statements that that was safe. After several winters of operation, there was never any indication of the heat damaging the carpet, let alone putting it at risk of catching fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.