Is tapping in the main service panel after a transfer switch still considered a line-side tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom08588

Occupation
Engineer
I have a customer with a Generac standby generator. If I do a tap on inside their main panel, is that still considered a line-side tap? Or is it a load-side since I'm technically backfeeding their transfer switch circuit?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have a customer with a Generac standby generator. If I do a tap on inside their main panel, is that still considered a line-side tap? Or is it a load-side since I'm technically backfeeding their transfer switch circuit?

It's not a good idea to connect solar on the load side of a generator and transfer switch. Generator and

As far as your original question, the info is a little two vague. Is the ATS the service equipment? Where is the overcurrent protection and service disconnecting means? I suspect Larry is right but you need to clarify the setup.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It's a line side connection only if it's a connection on the line side of whatever is the first OCPD from the service. If you are saying that you want to connect the solar on the load side of a transfer switch (the same side as the generator), don't do that. The solar can backfeed the generator which would be bad news for the genny.

tom08588

Occupation
Engineer
0bfdca7d1512b82320200226-21980-1fdndia.jpg

I have a similar situation with this home. It is certainly physically possible I can tap inside this transfer switch box. Our concern now is voiding their warranty with Generac by doing so. I'm worried I'll open a can of worms by calling up the manufacturer/customer for permission to do so. Has anyone else interconnected inside one of these switches? It's so close to the meter i don't really have an other option for tapping in before the ATS breaker.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
View attachment 2551632

I have a similar situation with this home. It is certainly physically possible I can tap inside this transfer switch box. Our concern now is voiding their warranty with Generac by doing so. I'm worried I'll open a can of worms by calling up the manufacturer/customer for permission to do so. Has anyone else interconnected inside one of these switches? It's so close to the meter i don't really have an other option for tapping in before the ATS breaker.
You can tap inside the ATS enclosure; we do it frequently. The breaker in the ATS is your service disconnect; you'll want to connect on the line side of it so that the PV and the generator output cannot be connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.