Is it against code to use Flex conduit for a short distance (2ft) to bridge between panel and conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
I am in need of adding another conduit to my panel. Basically from more or less connecting from kitchen floor to the panel just below.
My panel is all dry walled in. Also, there are some exiting conduits coming out of the panel going into different directions.

One idea to solve this challenge was to use a short (2ft) flex to connect panel to metal conduit. I am pretty sure I could fish it through.

Is there any code or other reason from not doing this (vs. all metal EMT)?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Larry said a wire type EGC may be required depending on compliance with 250.118.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The Chicago code if free online these days
The section on flex can be found here:

"Uses Permitted. FMC shall be permitted to be used:
(1) For the connection of motors or recessed luminaires
(2) In lengths not exceeding 7.62 m (25 ft) between junction boxes for branch circuits in concealed work fished into existing walls, partitions, floors, or hard surface ceilings where other work does not require or include removal of the existing finished surface
(3) For required flexibility at the termination of conduit runs."

So I think you'd fall under (2)

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
I believe 1/2", which would also allow for future additions, unless you want to use MC.
I was thinking regular flex. Then again, so far when I worked with 3/8" it was always MC. That woudl be another option, making the 2ft tun about 6ft to next junction box (from panel)

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
I don't think Chicago allows mc period.
We just did a thread on using 3/8 flex in this situation, and it was agreed that it was a violation. 1/2" min if you're not going directly to equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
3/8 flex and MC are very different wiring methods even though same size. use FMC that matches size of raceway to allow for future. With MC you can’t add.
MC actually varies in size depending on what conductors are inside. 12-2 MC is normally smaller overall diameter than 3/8 flex is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from 2017 new code in Chicage

The new code retains several requirements that have provided enhanced electrical safety in Chicago, notably strict requirements for the use of metal conduit and longstanding requirements on emergency lighting, emergency generators and electrical sign regulation.

It will also codifies a February memorandum that permitted use of flexible metal conduit, armored cable, and metal-clad cable in some existing walls, partitions and ceilings during existing building rehabilitation.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
Here's 2016 at least for CEC. I was somewhat incorrect.

mc.jpg

I actually work in a city that has stricter requirements == no MC period. I always figured Chicago was the worst, guess not :)

@pfus if you're not Chicago proper, you need to check local amendments. Every single suburb has its own MC rules.

Last edited:

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
thank you all. My town specifies "National Electrical Code, 2017 Edition (with amendments)."

Would MC be allowable? I realize that 1/2" conduit woudl be much better from a serviceability standpoint but I am afraid it will not pass though my cavity. What I am thinking:
- start at service panel go up into basement ceiling, pass though into kitchen.
- in kitchen route between an outside wall and a cabinet filler. I have about 1 1/8" space.
- on that wall connect into a box. Potentially opening the drywall and feed the conduit directly underneath into box using a KO.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
thank you all. My town specifies "National Electrical Code, 2017 Edition (with amendments)."

Would MC be allowable? I realize that 1/2" conduit woudl be much better from a serviceability standpoint but I am afraid it will not pass though my cavity. What I am thinking:
- in kitchen route between an outside wall and a cabinet filler. I have about 1 1/8" space.
- on that wall connect into a box. Potentially opening the drywall and feed the conduit directly underneath into box using a KO.
Barring any local amendments, MC and flex are fine

Ron

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC

(with amendments)
That's the key, you need to check the amendments at municode or whatever they use. Not every city around here allows MC, or they have odd restrictions on it. Same with FMC even, though it's usually more allowed.

It's hard to do fished runs without some flex/mc in there at some point. 90deg fittings need to be accessible. 1/2" FMC to 1/2" EMT with a straight from-to will suffice in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.