Is EGC required from motor disconnect to motor in LFNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOO2021

Occupation
proj eng
If I am running a ground wire from a metal motor disconnect to a 3-phase 480vac 3hp induction motor, then do I need to run a separate EGC in the same LFNC? The LFNC is less than 6 feet. The ground wire is terminated at an earth ground lug in a main control panel to the ground terminal block in the disconnect. The ground terminal block is bonded to a din rail inside the disconnect and terminated to ground lug in motor terminal box. Can this ground wire act as the EGC? NEC 356.60 addresses Grounding, but does not specify if a ground wire can act as the EGC from a motor disconnect to motor. If I need to run a separate EGC, then what nec code is referenced for the EGC? The basic question is can the motor ground wire be used as the EGC?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The EGC must be run with the circuit conductors. If the motor disconnect enclosure is connected to the EGC for the motor circuit, then a wire type EGC inside the LFNC or a wire type bonding jumper outside of the LFMC can serve as the required EGC for the motor.

ZOO2021

Occupation
proj eng
Thank you for your reply. If I understood you correctly, if the egc is connected to the motor disconnect and the motor ground terminal. Then this egc conductor inside the LFNC acts as the bond. If this is correct, do you know where this is stated in the nec?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you for your reply. If I understood you correctly, if the egc is connected to the motor disconnect and the motor ground terminal. Then this egc conductor inside the LFNC acts as the bond. If this is correct, do you know where this is stated in the nec?
That only applies where the motor disconnect is connected to the motor circuit EGC.

You have to apply a number of rules to get to this application. 250.4, 250.109, 250.118, 250.110, 300.3(B) and 356.60.

Status
Not open for further replies.