Is 62 - Year Old Building Wire Still Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Thanks for all of the great help. I talked the customer into removing the wire and upgrading the outside service to 200-amps so that I can install a 4/0 SER AL cable across the carport ceiling and down into the basement where the new sub-panel is going.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Brief 100v Megger readings H-G can see end-of-service life for equipment that continuity testers can not.
That's funny! :LOL: When in use it is 120 volts.... I do not call that a megger test for house wiring. Maybe a megger test for automotive work. Interesting to note, Megger has discontinued those really low voltage meggers, and now they go to 1 KV. You can still do 50 volts for electronic circuits.

600 Volt wire is good for more than 600 Volts for brief times, as a service factor is already in there. It does not fail at 700 volts.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Megger has discontinued those really low voltage meggers
Nope! Megger's modern MIT 430/2 series still has 50v / 100v / 250v / 500v / 1kv.

600 Volt wire is good for more than 600 Volts for brief times, as a service factor is already in there. It does not fail at 700 volts.
Yes, manufacturers may even have a Hi-Pot test for new THWN in the 1kv range, but do you really expect 60yr-old rubber & cloth to survive 1500 volts, as suggested earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.