Is 500 MCM aluminum feeding 350 amps of panels permissable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

I'll be installing wiring for a new swimming pool, service entrance to a one family residence, 2 meter unit; incoming is 500 MCM aluminum 1 phase. Existing is a 100/200 mother/daughter arrangement. both panels have mains, and are maxed out, no ability for twins. the pool load is approx. 60+ amps. I want to exchange the 100 amp panel for a 150, and leave the 200 main panel. I'm not sure if that's permissible considering 500 aluminum is rated 310 @75c. I could just change the existing 200 for a 150 for both panels to match the incoming conductor size, but 150 may not carry the existing loads in that panel. What to do?

Thanks, HR...

Last edited:

howardrichman

I'll be installing wiring for a new swimming pool, service entrance to a one family residence, 2 meter unit; incoming is 500 MCM aluminum 1 phase. Existing is a 100/200 mother/daughter arrangement. both panels have mains, and are maxed out, no ability for twins. the pool load is approx. 60+ amps. I want to exchange the 100 amp panel for a 150, and leave the 200 main panel. I'm not sure if that's permissible considering 500 aluminum is rated 310 @75c. I could just change the existing 200 for a 150 for both panels to match the incoming conductor size, but 150 may not carry the existing loads in that panel. What to do?

Thanks, HR...

I wanted to mention; I could exchange the 32-35 ckt 200 for a full 40 ckt panel, but only to gain a few spaces, but would suffice.

HR...

Status
Not open for further replies.