Inverter shuting down on farm tractor that runs air conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldroad

New User
Occupation
retired
I have mounted a small 5000 BTU air conditoner on the cab of my tractor, powered by a 2000 watt inverter. The inverter would shut down after about 90 minutes, which was better than nothing. After about 45 days of use, the inverter quit altogether.

I think i have a 75 amp alternator and I do have two 135 Amp hours marine batteries (270 AH Total). I can run approx 90 minutes before AC shuts off. Can wait an hour and go another 90 minutes or so with air.

The inverter quit working entirely, and I'm thinking about getting a new one. What might be the weak link in my set-up? What do you recommend? What size inverter and alternator do i need?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC does not cover wiring in vehicles. And this appears to be a DIY post.
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the flag icon at the lower right hand corner of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.