Inverter Mounting Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
6F100FB0-C67D-4E28-962A-38E459B20495.jpeg
I had an inspector site 404.8 as a violation in regards to the height of the disconnect on the inverters. I believe 404.8 (A) (ex.2) allows for the inverter disconnects to be mounted above 79”. And if it doesn’t, wouldn’t 705.70 apply/make the height of the inverter disconnects code compliant? My state is on the 2017 code cycle.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Your DC disconnects are in the inverters?

Also do you have a readily accessible rapid shutdown switch? (AC disco initiates?)

I agree that 404.(A) exception 2 applies, but you've got to make sure that you are satisfying 690.13 and 690.15 on the DC side. I would think you can mount the inverter that high if you have an additional readily accessible DC disconnect. Or probably you can even argue your way out of that if you can draw the inspector's attention to the fact that the 690 disconnect requirements changed a lot between 2014 and 2017. If the inspector will be reasonable. You would need to convince them that the AC disco is the 'PV system disconnecting means' and that therefore 690.13(A) doesn't apply to the DC discos.

Eli1211

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, each inverter has a dc disconnect built into the unit. Yes, the AC disco initiates the rapid shutdown. I see what you are saying with 690.13, 690.15, and your reasoning in the sentences that follow and how to present that to the inspector. It makes sense. Wouldn't none of that matter so long as all the requirements of 705.70 are abided by though? Wouldn't 705.70 alone allow the inverters to be mounted above 79"? I believe each requirement is satisfied in 705.70 as the install currently sits.

(1) dc disconnect is built into the unit
(2) ac disconnect would be the breakers in the ac combiner panel
(3) the pv system disconnect would be the additional ac disconnect for the inverter that complies with 705.22.
(4) and the gc my company does these installs for said it is not a problem for them to have a plaque made.

I appreciate your time spent responding.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, you're right about 705.70 and certainly the word 'permitted' there is worth pointing out. But 705.70 doesn't exempt the DC switch from 404.8, only the exception to 404.8 does.

So you're argument would be essentially:
'Given that 705.70 permits the inverter there and my AC disconnects fulfill the requirements of 705.70 and 690, what code section overrides the exception to 404.8(A)? Also from a practical standpoint rapid shutdown takes care of any emergency needs."

Status
Not open for further replies.