Intrinsically Safe Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcabrera

Got a new installation for hydrogen service and the customer wants it to be IS. Skid mounted oil separation unit, all device wiring will be pulled a JB on the edge of the skid. Customer is responsible for wiring back to the control system.

Based on my research I understand the following items
- any wiring method is acceptable
- wiring needs to be blue in color
- cabling/cable trays need to be clearly/permanently identified "Intrinsically Safe" at min every 7.5m or 25ft
- in the event there is wiring that is not IS, it needs to be separate from the IS by 2" min

Anything else I should be considering?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Anything else I should be considering?
A few things:
  • While "standard" wiring methods are generally acceptable there are still special sealing [Section 504.70] and grounding/bonding [Section 504.50] requirements.
  • There must be a Control Drawing [Sections 100, Part I, (definition) and 504.10(A)]. This is a very BIG deal and easy to overlook.
  • "Blue" wiring for identification is permitted but, if used, it must specifically be light blue. [Section 504.80(C)]

Occupation
Engineer
Another item to remember is that standard wiring methods are acceptable but you still have the same sealing requirements to grapple with when transitioning that wiring from a Hazardous to non Hazardous area. I've heard, but I have not read, the 2020 code cycle made this even more difficult, in tune with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.