Internet controlled switch or receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

Does anyone know of a 120V 15A light switch, duplex or simplex receptacle that can be remotely turned on/off over the internet?

If it will also provide positive on/off indication remotely over the internet, that'd be great, too!

WIFI enabled would be even better!!!

Thanks for the help!

tx2step

Thanks Smart $! That looks like a viable solution!

Have you used this setup before & had good luck with it?

It looks like it uses X10 commumications over the building wiring between the controller and the switch or receptacle -- I've never used any of the X10 type devices (I've always hard wired stuff so far), do you find them to operate reliably?

Any pointers, suggestions, or things to watch out for? Anything that causes communications problems or interference? For instance, do surge strips with built-in noise reduction filter out the signals transmitted over the building wiring?

My immediate need is for a residential application, but I'll also need to apply the same basic approach in some light comercial applications as well.

Does anyone else have any different suggestions or approaches?

Thanks for the help!!!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, I haven't used this setup or any other. I was just aware of it because I was shopping myself for a (near?) future application. Even if someone else weighs in here, I suggest visiting the linked web page and clicking on the "ratings" link (under the stars). Only has 3.5 of 5 rating.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't know of any directly controlled receptacles. There are may device controller options using , Insteon, Zwave , Zigbee. Zwave is the only protocol that is used by Leviton, Cooper, Intermatic. Insteon is made by Smarthome. Lutron uses Zigbee from what I was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.