Intermittent duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilG

Occupation
Electrician
Hi

Can I always consider an elevator motor and pump motors intermittent duty and if it's not specified do I have to assume it's 5, 15, 30 or 60 minute rated motor?

NeilG

Occupation
Electrician
Can I assume that an elevator will not operate on continuous load under any condition since every time it stops on a floor the motor stops?

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
As jusme123 already said according to Art430.22E if you are not sure what kind of duty

it is about you have to consider it as continuous.

430.22E.jpg

NeilG

Occupation
Electrician
Correct but I'm asking more of a technical question since the note doesn't say that it has to be marked for non continuous duty it just depends on the nature of what the motor is being used...
Now an elevator in my humble opinion can never work for 60 minutes without stopping probably way less than that
now can I use the 30&60 min column to size the wire?

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Correct but I'm asking more of a technical question since the note doesn't say that it has to be marked for non continuous duty it just depends on the nature of what the motor is being used...
Now an elevator in my humble opinion can never work for 60 minutes without stopping probably way less than that
now can I use the 30&60 min column to size the wire?
Never? I disagree.

Highly unlikely? Absolutely. But I’d think it’s technically possible and the section states “under any condition of use”. Although bizarre, we could come up with some strange scenario where it did run basically non stop.

NeilG

Occupation
Electrician
Let's assume it's 100 flights If the elevator goes straight up from level 1 to 100 it has to stop for a few seconds and open the door in order to go back down.. That's the way I look at it please correct me if I'm wrong

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Let's assume it's 100 flights If the elevator goes straight up from level 1 to 100 it has to stop for a few seconds and open the door in order to go back down.. That's the way I look at it please correct me if I'm wrong
A few seconds pause between 100 second run times is not, IMHO, sufficient to cause the motor's heating regime to be intermittent rather than continuous. Especially given that the act of starting will probably generate more heating than was saved during the several second pause.

kwired

Electron manager
That would mean it is not a continuous load but doesn't disqualify use of code posted in post 4. If your motor is not actually marked with a duty rating you actually do need to use 140 percent factor though that maybe is overlooked quite often. But at same time the more a motor is cycled the more it needs to be derated if you want it to last a long time, take something that reverses pretty frequently, it spends a lot of time accelerating, possibly from almost -100% through zero and then to + 100%, it is going to need derated to last very long and will draw more average current on the supply conductors then one that just accelerates once and stays at a certain level/range for extended periods.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
In my opinion in 430.22 E it is not about motor but conductor ampacity.

kwired

Electron manager
In my opinion in 430.22 E it is not about motor but conductor ampacity.
It is, but properties and use of the motor have an impact on which multiplier you use.

My mentioning the frequent reversing motor - I had a dual head bagging machine once that had final bag feed auger that would reverse to change product flow from one head to the other. product feed was in center of auger and it went either right or left depending on which bag you were filling, and was controlled by the bag scales. Operator would change filled bag while other bag was filling, took maybe couple minutes to fill a bag. Reversing was instant, across the line reverse so that motor saw a lot of near locked rotor current during a shift, and at one time this plant did run 24/7 although production might have had occasional break in product flow. Motor was general purpose continuous duty motor. If it weren't for the frequent reversing probably could have been 1/4 hp or less as it was a 4 inch auger moving powder at a relatively slow rate through only a 24-36" long tube either direction from the center supply. 430.22 had nothing to do with determining how big the motor needed to be to be able to handle the frequent reversing, but at same time was somewhat insignificant as a 14 AWG supply conductor had well over the 140% ampacity the table requires as well on this particular application.

This auger had motor fail one time don't recall original motor HP probably 1/2, but the only 56C motor they had on hand at the time was a 2HP so it got put on there. Next failure, did take some time but was maybe less than a year wasn't any electrical component failure but the output shaft failed from all the excess torque upon each reversing cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.