Interlocking 1 exhaust fan with 4 restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Project involves 4 new restrooms. One toliet exhaust fan is going to be installed for all 4 restrooms. What would be the most efficient method to interlock the fan with the lighting? I was thinking of a lighting control panel and install motion sensors in each restroom and have the fan controlled from the control panel.

bphgravity

Just use 4 double-pole switches in each bathroom. Neat any easy. Just make sure each switch is supplied by the same circuit... And I would label the switch boxes and plans as to the wiring configuration.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Bryan left off the part about wiring one half of all four switches in parallel, so if any one or more switches are on, so is the fan.

W6SJK

Some occupancy sensor power packs (relays) can handle more than one occ sensor. That way you could keep the wiring shorter, i.e. local to the load. Try WattStopper.

How about another idea from a new guy? A HVAC fan center has a 24 volt transformer and relay on a plate that will mount on a 4 square box at the fan. Then you just have to run 18/2 back to a seperate or divided switch box in each restroom. The fan center will be $30.00 to $40.00.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
bwyllie said:
Project involves 4 new restrooms. One toliet exhaust fan is going to be installed for all 4 restrooms. What would be the most efficient method to interlock the fan with the lighting? I was thinking of a lighting control panel and install motion sensors in each restroom and have the fan controlled from the control panel.

How about four relays? $35 or $40. Much cheaper.

Bob- Help me out- I'm not sure I understand you comment. I'm saying use one fan center with 4 switches (or as many as you want) wired in parallel to energize the 24 v. coil on the fan center. The ease of this is the fan center is pre-wired-

Status
Not open for further replies.