Interesting discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
191221-1335 EST
It is important that you do not think that power and energy are part of Ohm's law. Ohm only studied conduction.
I like to call those equations "Watts' Law" especially in conjunction with Ohm's Law.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... he took a competitive examination and, in 1760, was admitted to École du Génie, the new (1758) French college of engineering. (I must pause here and point out that “génie” is the French word for genius and is the root of “ingénieur,” the French word for engineer. ...)
OK, now THAT is something that I did not know and find very cool indeed... :happyyes:

You also have to admit , calling your engineering college "School of Genius" is pretty ballsy.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
191221-1335 EST

​​​​​​https://www.tbp.org/pubs/Features/W19Feisel.pdf
https://www.tbp.org/pubs/Features/W18Feisel.pdf

The string --- bent joule feisel --- did not bring up his latest discussion in the latest Bent. It is important that you do not think that power and energy are part of Ohm's law. Ohm only studied conduction.

The study of electricity as regard acquiring expertise that leads to electrical engineering practice did not happen until the late 1800s.

Electrical engineering studies entered as a curriculum alongside other disciplines in 1882.
It was first offered by MIT.

Prior to this, the only thing we knew about electricity was Ben Franklin's rigging a key that was struck by lightning.
Well, we did hear about the BAGHDAD BATTERY from the ancient world.

To be honest, I think this Franklin bit, didn't even happen. Probably just another old "babushka" myth. :)

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
St Elmo's fire - before Franklin, antiquity
1740s, kite type thing done before Franklin, Ben repeated and publicized
Volta's discoveries - 1800
Faraday's insights, 1820
Telegraph - 1830-40, arguably the start of electrical 'engineering'
Maxwell's equations - 1865

Status
Not open for further replies.