installing speakers in remodel & new construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknorth

I was wondering what is the best way to install speakers in the wall or ceiling in new and remodel. The bone heads at the supply house don't know jack. It seems like more and more people are asking for this.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: installing speakers in remodel & new construction

They can be "cut in"... if you had the speakers you would see how to do it. An electrical supply house is probably not the best place to find this stuff.

-Hal

celtic

Originally posted by nicknorth:
I was wondering what is the best way to install speakers in the wall or ceiling in new and remodel. The bone heads at the supply house don't know jack.
The guys at a "standard" supply house have very limited knowledge/access to this type of installation. A better choice for "quick" info is a high end electronics store (not Radio Shack, PC Richards, 6th Avenue, etc).

Try www.crutchfield.com, they have plenty of in wall/ceiling boxes/speakers...similar to these:

l108ERS110D-f.jpeg
Infinity ERS 110DT
In-ceiling stereo input speaker

or

l107RC55i-F_MT.jpeg
Polk Audio RC55i
In-wall speakers

Crutchfield IS expensive, but there service is outstanding (IMHO). I had purchased a car radio from another site(saved $100), but used Crutchfield's site to do the research and ordered a harness to match a Dodge to a JVC with NO splicing (all quick clips ~ $11).

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

If you're looking to pre-wire, I use bracket boxes in the ceiling, to get the wire away from the truss during drywall. If they are just paying for a pre-wire, you blank the box at trim. If they're paying for everything, then at trim you remove the box, and cut in your speaker safe in the knowledge that no drywall patch is going to be needed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.