Installing circuits from separately metered panels in the same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a 13 unit apartment complex. One service enters the building and serves all of the 14 meters and panels. (1 house, 13 units). The developer wants to add split system a/c units in each apartment unit. Due to the panels being located in the common stairwell and being stacked above each other (3 floor building) I would like to come out of the 3 separate apartment panels into one conduit running vertically thrue the 3 floors. Junction box with conduit going outside, transition to pvc then go to 3 disconnects then into the corresponding ac unit. I don't see anything in the codebook against this. I normally wouldn't do a job this way but because of the layout and to keep everything neat and professional looking with it being all surface mount I feel it would work out great, granted it is permitted to do so.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I see nothing wrong so far. Have you given thought to the interconnecting wiring between the condenser and interior units ?

Yes the hvac contractor is doing that as they should since they are running trough and Line sets anyhow. I am only responsible for the line voltage circuit to the condenser unit. Thanks for your input I didn't see any issue with it either but it isn't a common scenario so I wanted to hear opinions from others.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might want to check... some of the condenser to interior units are "line voltage"

iwire

Staff member
Derating is the only reason I would hesitate to do this.

If the circuits are 30 amps or less it may not matter, above 30 amps and you might have to bump up the wire sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.