Installing can lights on 1st floor when their is another floor above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEYDOG

This is on a first floor that has been drywalled and finished.
I was trying to get an idea on what the best way would be to install cut in ceiling can’s on the first floor in a resident with a second floor directly above it. Not all can lights will be run parallel between the same joist. I know that you can cut holes on either side of the joist to drill. If you cut a hole on one side and drill blindly there is a chance that you will hit something that you don’t want to. Seems like there is not a good way without having to do a lot of patching.
Thanks in advance for any idea!

J.R.

480sparky

If you want an omelet, you're gonna have to break some eggs.

While there are some techniques that can be employed to reduce cutting holes, there no magic bullet that will eliminate them.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have used rifle bore camera to inspect the ceiling before I drill blindly. The camera is less than 1/4" in diameter and by the time I am done moving it around the sheetrock hole is about 3/8" maybe less.

kwired

Electron manager
This is on a first floor that has been drywalled and finished.
I was trying to get an idea on what the best way would be to install cut in ceiling can’s on the first floor in a resident with a second floor directly above it. Not all can lights will be run parallel between the same joist. I know that you can cut holes on either side of the joist to drill. If you cut a hole on one side and drill blindly there is a chance that you will hit something that you don’t want to. Seems like there is not a good way without having to do a lot of patching.
Thanks in advance for any idea!

J.R.
May or may not be an option for you, but you are not limited to making holes in the ceiling, if easier to cover up again make holes in the floor above to work through. If they were considering replacing floor covering soon may not be a big deal at all.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
For me, depends how big the the ceiling is, and if it's smooth or textured.

If it's smooth, It's maybe most cost effective to just cut a strip of drywall out and have it patched and painted.

If the ceiling is messed up already, or there are enough cans going in, just gut the whole ceiling.

If it's textured, nearly impossible to patch into, or some other scenario that makes damage a no-no, crown molding like @infinity suggested or drill blindly between cans. You can use bit extensions to go through more than one joist

Status
Not open for further replies.