Installing ATS and Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger4life

Occupation
Business Manager Electrical Construction/Master Electrician
I have a project were we will installing ATS on shelters and need some help. These shelters are supplied by service on pole with meter + fused disconnect then it runs to another fused disconnect on shelter that is back to back with MB panel inside. Last year when mounting ATS we simply removed disconnect on shelter and replaced it with a "service entrance rated" ATS. This year they want to leave disconnect and install ATS in between them which creates a big headache.
My question is if I mount ATS beside or close by disconnect and install large enough conduit can I run conductors from load side of disconnect to ATS and load conductors from ATS through same conduit and through disconnect to inside shelter using existing nipple between wall.

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/tiger4life/media/Document1pdf.jpg.html

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I have a project were we will installing ATS on shelters and need some help. These shelters are supplied by service on pole with meter + fused disconnect then it runs to another fused disconnect on shelter that is back to back with MB panel inside. Last year when mounting ATS we simply removed disconnect on shelter and replaced it with a "service entrance rated" ATS. This year they want to leave disconnect and install ATS in between them which creates a big headache.
My question is if I mount ATS beside or close by disconnect and install large enough conduit can I run conductors from load side of disconnect to ATS and load conductors from ATS through same conduit and through disconnect to inside shelter using existing nipple between wall.

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/tiger4life/media/Document1pdf.jpg.html

I don't see why you can't.
But you do have to separate your neutrals and grounds because your service disconnect is on the pole under the meter.
As long as you don't over fill the area that your conductors are in you are good to go.

tiger4life

Occupation
I don't see why you can't.
But you do have to separate your neutrals and grounds because your service disconnect is on the pole under the meter.
As long as you don't over fill the area that your conductors are in you are good to go.

That's what I thought for the conduit but going back through the disconnect is what I was wondering about, thank you for your reply. I think it will be fine depending on the inspector in that area.

tiger4life

Occupation
Yes I understand about the neutrals, I have a call into a inspector friend to see what he thinks if he calls me back I post back. Not sure why they are wanting this since the ATS is service entrance rated not to mention there is a fused disconnect at meter, big waste of time and money.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Yes I understand about the neutrals, I have a call into a inspector friend to see what he thinks if he calls me back I post back. Not sure why they are wanting this since the ATS is service entrance rated not to mention there is a fused disconnect at meter, big waste of time and money.

Absolutely! There is no reason for the ATS to be service rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.