inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs409

i would like to hear some input about electrical inspectors...what type of experience should the electrical inspector have? etc :eek:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: inspector

In NC they are State certified by testing and municipality employed at State, County, and City levels.

A class three electrical inspector is a very knowledgable individual.
Granted there are some hot shots (usually newer inspectors) who want to make up their own rules, but they seem to mello after being knocked off their high horse a few times.

Overall we have very good inspectors, and in my area some are actually instructors in vocational schools and community colleges.

Roger

[ March 23, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

tshea

I was employed in NC as an electrical inspector level 2, and building inspector level 1, plumbing inspector level 1, and mechanical inspector level 1. I was state licensed as an electrical contractor (limited). I had very minimal experience in the other three areas. The primary reason being "certified" in the other trades, was to inspect house trailer installations. All four certs applied. The skill level was, as I say, minimal, but that was my only area of inspections.
Now that I'm in WI, the inspectors here are Master Electricians, with two levels of electrical inspector credentials. Journeymen, Masters, & inspectors are required to take between 12-18 hours of training in a three year period (length credential is valid). The inspectors that check our work have been field electricans sometime during their careers.

websparky

Ohio:
1. Have been a journeyman electrician or equivalent for four years, two of which were as an electrician foreman, and have had two years experience as a building department electrical inspector trainee;
2. Have been a journeyman electrician or equivalent for four years and have had three years experience as a building department electrical inspector trainee;
3. Have had for four years and have had three years experience as a building department electrical inspector trainee;
4. Have been a journeyman electrician or equivalent for six years;
5. Am a graduate electrical engineer and registered in the State of Ohio.

Provide letters from certified inspectors, employers, or contractors verifying your experience. Submit copies of any certificates, diplomas, or licenses received.

Thirty hours of refresher training courses every three years.

The test is a 50 question open NEC code book with a four hour time limit. (You will need all 4 hours!)

pierre

Dave
Four hours for 50 questions must be a hard test. What is the minimum passing grade?

NY State it seems almost anyone can be an inspector, as I have not found any hard and fast rules being enforced at this time :eek:

Pierre

websparky

Pierre,

Yes, it is a hard test.
The usual requirements of answers being exactly stated "250.23(A)(3)Exception 2" for instance.
If you miss a "(3)" or the like, no credit!
You need a 70% to pass, 35 correct out of 50.

They come up with mostly the finer points of the code and obscure areas of the code where you may not think of looking or seldom refer to.

Overall, most inspectors are mid 40's and older and past licensed electrical contractors. Typically they don't miss much on an inspection!

The requirements are from the Ohio Administrative Code which is based on the Ohio Revised Code (The Law).

Some of the larger cities have licensing tests for electrical contractors. Typically these tests are on par with the state tests for inspectors but with the more common code areas a contractor uses daily.

pete m.

Websparky, I think now it is illegal for any jurisdiction to test any contractor here in Ohio. They can however register the contractor for a fee. An electrical contractor has to pass a State test issued through the OCIEB (Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board) I believe this is due to House Bill #434 ? As far as the test for electrical inspectors is concerned, I agree, the test is challenging. (and rightfully so) In my humble opinion there is nothing worse on a job than an inspector who is either not knowledgable in the code or makes up his own rules. The State of Ohio Board of Building Standards has a way of dealing with the aforementioned inspectors.

Pete

websparky

Hi Pete,

You most likely have more current info on the contractors, mine is has been "inactive" for some time now.
I do like the state requirements and monitoring of certs. I beleive we have a safer installation because of it and more often than not, knowledgeable inspectors. :cool:

electricmanscott

Here in Massachusetts you must have a friend, relative, drinking buddy, or compromising pictures of a local town official to be considered for the position. Step two is having a poor attitude and a large chip on your shoulder. Step three is the ability to let your phone ring even if you are sitting next to it. Last you must know in your heart that everything that you have ever done has been perfect and your way is the only way.

jemsvcs

You're right sparky...in Ohio the AHJs are no longer allowed to administer their own exams for contractors...they have to accept the state license...(Which by the way, is the national master electrician's exam...a 100 question extravaganza in four hours!!!).

Some of the AHJs have gotten around the state mandate however by requiring the contractor's journeyman and apprentices to have local licenses...go figure!!!

rhombus65

In fact in Mass not so long ago you did not even need to be a licensed electrician to be an inspector.

Prior to there being a formal inspector I believe the fire chief did the inspections.

Honestly though, inspectors are just people...

Treat them with respect(or at least act like you are treating them with respect), do your job right, put your ego aside and all goes well.

I have either not had many problems with inspectors or I just do not perceive things as problems.

My philosophy is it cost more to argue with an inspector for 2 hours than it is to take 15 min to fix an issue that you see as a quirk. Furthermore, after respectfully humoring the inspector a couple of times on some small issues they seem to treat you with respect in return.

Keep in mind that they are not just dealing with you the inspector has to deal with all kinds of electricians. Thay have to inspect some jobs that are just garbarge. Let alone how many electricians are out there just trying to get one by the inspector to try to do the job cheaper and steal your work.

I think inspectors play an important role in the process and can be seen as a possitive thing. We as electricians need to work through the process and figure out how to use the system to our advantage.

Inspections are 80% phycological and 20% knowledge

cs409

heres a tid bit.....how would you feel if your local Doctor was inspected to make sure he/she followed code/procedures and this inspector wasnt a doctor!!

anyone see where this is headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.