inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram1013

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm new to the forum and I am looking for some advice on an issue I'm having. I'm a licensed electrical contractor in the state of New Jersey and perform various electrical jobs throughout the state. There is a town in particular where the inspector is always looking for something to fail every job on. It's a bit of a long standing joke in the town that there inspectors fail every job. I have actually been told by the inspector that they always look for a reason to fail a job a few years back.

I will preface this with the fact that Coronavirus is spreading so I'm aware that inspections have been different lately.

We are currently having an issue with a pool installation. He failed us for not using a direct burial bug. The bug was clearly stamped "DB" I think he didn't want to bend over and look. I actually had a photo form when I installed it because I knew it was something he might bring up. After I sent he picture and a cut sheet for the actual connector (which he requested) he then failed it for not having the trench visible. the trench was 20" deep and dug with a ditch witch. The circuit had GFI protection at the panel so it was well below where it needed to be. The customer did place some blocks over an area because he has small children. After resolving this issue we scheduled an inspection for inside.

The inspector failed it again. Didn't even enter the home and said he cant come in due to coronavirus. No mention of this was made ahead of time or when we scheduled the inspection. He just left a red sticker. He then proceeded to ask for pictures. No problem, I get it, nobody wants to risk getting sick. We sent him out pictures of everything. He failed it again and asked for more specific pictures. Fine, we sent him a detailed email including videos, and pictures of everything he asked for.

He then fails it again saying there are 2 grounds under a termination screw in the panel. This is completely unrelated to the wire we installed. So this is where we are at now. Once again he didn't call, email even after we were corresponding via email. He stopped by to stick a red sticker on the door though. He was rude to the customer over the phone when they called for clarification.

I wondered if maybe he has a vendetta out for me some reason. Definitely possible. However, I can say I have never really had any argument with him. This particular town is notorious for doing this and I know of a few contractors that refuse to do work in the town for that reason. I am at the point where I feel I should file a formal complaint. I have never done this before and to be honest I am really not that kind of person. I rarely complain but this is starting to get to me. We literally failed 3 times and have yet to actually correct anything on the job because they were all nonsense.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience filing a complaint like this and if so where do I go. The township, the board of electrical examiners, etc. If you think I should not file and he is doing the right thing please let me know. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I definitely feel like something has to be done at this point. Its driving the costs of jobs up in the town because people don't want to work here and contractors know they have to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing stuff like this.

Some input would be appreciated
Thank you

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Welcome to the Forum. The first place you should start is with his boss, If he's not the electrical sub-code official you start with him, above him is the local building official and see if you can resolve this on a local level. Now if the inspector is also the building offical you'll need to contact the DCA in Trenton and ask them for guidance on how to proceed.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That's a tough call. A lot of variables to consider such as the size of the AHJ, poltical power he has, how much you think he can hurt you, etc.
Back in my days of contracting I was one of those types that simply would not tolerate an unreasonable, incompetent or to difficult to work with inspectors. All in all, I think it was worth the trouble but I can say that at times it caused me some pain. If one pissed me off bad enough I would go to great lengths to make him pay a price for being an AH just as a matter of principle.
There are some AHJs that just have this culture that extends to all the personnel and they can be a little tougher to battle. Only you can make the call as to whether you want to pursue. In most cases, I would.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds like a guy in this area. I finally went to the town manager and they dealt with it--supposedly. What I heard was that he wasn't going to inspect our jobs anymore. I have no problem with an inspector who inspects and calls out things that are appropriate but when they try and make you do things because they want it that way--uh uh I am going to have a fit. I am old enough now that I really am not afraid of these guys anymore.If you fail me you better have it right....or I am going to complain. I wish others would complain when you get a guy like that. Instead everyone becomes afraid he will hold a grudge and fail you all the time.... If everyone protested perhaps he wouldn't be allowed to pull that crap

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Keep this in mind: It's just as illegal to improperly fail work as it is to improperly pass it.

Yes, print out your first post, go to his supervisor, and continue up the food chain as necessary.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm Dennis you need to challenge them when they're incorrect but that also means that you need to be right. Before you go and argue you need to make sure that you've done your homework so there is no wiggle room for the inspector to appear to be correct in the eyes of his boss. I would guess that it's possible that one inspector would automatically back the other but that would be less likely if you have a sound argument as to why you're right.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
For many years in Rockford, IL, it was common for the inspectors to harrass non-union and out of the area contractors. It should not surprise you any that local union contractors were major political campaign contributors to local politicians.

You may be running up against something like that.

Ram1013

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
T
i1WgYB9.jpg
hanks for the advice everyone. I'm Going to post a picture. He is failing due to the ground termination on the bottom of lug of the timer. He's saying your only allowed 1 wire in it. I'm fairly certain your allowed 2 which is why there is a slot on each side of it. Perhaps I'm wrong. If someone who knows could comment whether I'm correct or not on this I would appreciate it. I'm at the point where I am going to go above his head regardless of any blowback I receive. If this is incorrect I would also like to know so I can correct it and not make the same mistake.
Please advise. Thank you for your help

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Pretty sure that lug is only for one wire. You would need listing info to prove otherwise.

That doesn't justify the rest of this inspector's bad behaviour, and you are right to call him on it. You do a favor to every other electrician when you don't back down.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just splice the EGC and tail off to both screws or repull the stranded conductor and loop it through the bottom lug.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I think the inspector may be technically correct on this. It is a little unclear in the instructions as they only refer to the main terminals. But it clearly says 2 wires if of the same size and type. I think it could be inferred that this would apply to the EGC terminal as well.
I think this is where I would turn the tables on him and change that solid jumper to a stranded jumper of the same size.
Instructions here: https://www.intermatic.com/-/media/inriver/11841-9493.ashx/T101-Instructions-EN

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think the field-installed solid bare jumper needs to be there at all.

The timer would have come with a stranded green wire if it was necessary.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Yeah, looks like that terminal will take two wires, if you had used both solid or both stranded, you would have had a leg to stand on, but looks like a correct call by the AHJ. Nit picking, but correct.

Ram1013

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After looking at the instructions in detail you are allowed 2 conductors under it. It does say the same size and type so that would be a valid argument. It is even setup that way to have equal space on each size. I know its an easy fix and we could splice the grounds with a wire nut. Im not sure if the jumper is needed and I agree it may not be necessary. I like to install them anyway just to be sure, I don't believe it can hurt.

I'm going to use two stranded wires and get a re-inspection. At this point I've had enough and I'm keeping the correspondence as well as every job from here on out in that town.

I believe if people allow this to keep happening they just keep trying to get away with stuff. Especially since he just stuck fail stickers previously for a lug that was absolutely the right kind and then failed the job bc he didn't want to walk inside the house.
Hopefully it helps the next guy after me.

I would like to thank you all for your help. I appreciate it. I will try to be a contributing member here whenever possible.

Thank you

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Please don't take this as justification for the inspector's behavior or me nit-picking, but look at the scrap of conductor in the timer housing and the sheet rock screws holding it in place.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Please don't take this as justification for the inspector's behavior or me nit-picking, but look at the scrap of conductor in the timer housing and the sheet rock screws holding it in place.
You stated that so gently. :)
Personally I don't see either of those things as an electrical code violation.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
They are not, but some inspectors look at workmanship and determine their approach to the inspection from there. It's the little details that can make a big difference, sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.