Inspection of an old but recently "fixed" Electrical Utiliy Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrc0109

Where can one find someone who can review and comment on a recent electrical utility "fix" of an over 80 year old feeder that crosses aerially into one's property then transits underground across the property to feed a neighboring home? The situation is in Northern NJ.
Thanks,
jrc0109

jrc0109

I would hope so, especially, if it is not safe. It may require litigation if it can be shown that the circuit is a safety problem.

kwired

Electron manager
I would hope so, especially, if it is not safe. It may require litigation if it can be shown that the circuit is a safety problem.
Problem is without going through the litigation process, there really isn't any particular "authority" that governs such things when it comes to many utility companies.

Litigation often doesn't happen until after an accident has already occurred unfortunately, nobody has suffered any damages before the accident.

Do they at very least have an easement to have the line where it is? If not you can start with challenging this aspect.

jrc0109

Thanks for the comments. There is an old easement that requires maintaining an old generator (which is no longer working). Besides that issue, the owner would like to have an expert review the feeder system (1930's cable & duct as well as the recent "fix") to determine if it is safe and is in compliance with the, I would assume, the NESC.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the comments. There is an old easement that requires maintaining an old generator (which is no longer working). Besides that issue, the owner would like to have an expert review the feeder system (1930's cable & duct as well as the recent "fix") to determine if it is safe and is in compliance with the, I would assume, the NESC.
Many POCO's follow the NESC, but don't actually have any authority that enforces compliance. They mostly do so to have a standard they can refer to and hopefully prove they were in compliance should there ever be an incident involving litigation. If they make up their own installation rules, they would need to defend them in such litigation cases, if there is a standard they followed that is accepted by many experts in the industry, all they need to prove is they followed such standard.

jrc0109

Thanks again. I'm not quite sure, but it looks like the utility either repaired or spliced the underground duct using a split piece of duct and plastic cable ties. That doesn't seem to be a good workmanship or safe practice. Also, the aerial portion of the circuit appears to connect to the shed about 8 feet above grade. I believe the NESC secondary clearance requirement is 16 ft. Do you think it would be worth submitting a complaint to the Board of Public Utilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.